Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clicking When Shifting Gears???

footballfereak
12-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I have looked into this on many websites, but cannot seem to find many results.

I have a 1999 Eclipse. Auto transmission. I just recently bought it (Dec. 1st). I took it for a test drive and everything was great. Now, when I shift gears, I hear a very loud click (or possibly even a grinding noise?) which seems to be coming from behind me, near the back of the car. It happens everytime I go from "Drive" to "Park". Sometimes it happens when I shift through other gears as well. I was wondering if this is normal or not since it doesn't sound too great. It did NOT do it at all during the test drive or on the way home.

Upon some answers I found, some sites mentioned it is normal during winter or colder months when the car gets cold. Also that is may be low on oil? As a side note, my car does leak some oil which I have yet to have looked at.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks =)

steviek
12-03-2008, 12:44 AM
is this a gs rs gst or gsx?

footballfereak
12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
GS I believe.

steviek
12-03-2008, 12:49 AM
well I know that this clicking is not normal on the other hand I have no experience with the 420A's trans I think its a chrysler neon trans. We will have to wait for one of the 420a guys on this one.

footballfereak
12-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound normal to me. Most websites I came across were describing their problems as "2-3 second clicking noises." That is not the case with mine; it does not last long at all. It's just like snapping your fingers, only quick enough to hear it. It is pretty loud too.

SilvrEclipse
12-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I would look into things like the exhaust hitting heatshielding when ingauged in gear. Stupid things like that are the cause of these problems a lot of times so get under there and check it out. You said it sounds like its behind you.. well only the exhaust is under the back of the car so see if thats it.

Add your comment to this topic!