Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problem starting

mess z24
12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
my '91 rs 1.8 will not start sometimes hot or cold out there is no cranking just dead, the dash lights all come on, if i play with the clutch i can find a spot where it will start?

GSR2NVY
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Can you hear the starter solenoid click? ive heard of bad crank position sensors not allowing a hot restart. If every light on the dash turns on its probably throwing a code... never scanned an OBD0 though.

mess z24
12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
yes i can here the starter click but only when the clutch is in a certain position. i hold the key down and play with the clutch in and out and can always get it started eventually but only when the clutch hits the magic spot.

GSR2NVY
12-02-2008, 11:53 PM
interesting. There is a limit switch down there by ur clutch. If u crawl down there u can see it, when u push clutch in, it makes a switch. That needs to be made to allow current to flow to the starter. Id check there see if that switch is jacked up or loose wiring.

GSR2NVY
12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
In fact, I am almost sure that has to be the problem. Intermittent failure of that limit switch down there. The "sweet spot" you are talking about is probably close to pushing the clutch all the way in. Replace that switch. Look here. It is item #22 with the OEM part number go order it:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=INTEGRA&catcgry2=1991&catcgry3=3DR+RS&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=PEDAL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List%20All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

mess z24
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Thks Gsr2nvy, I Was In Vegas For A Few Days Now I'm Gonna Look For That Switch. I'll Let You Know How I Make Out. Ty

GSR2NVY
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
No prob. It is the same switch that people jumper out to allow for the automatic start function on some alarm systems (so u can start the car without pushing in the clutch). You might be able to use like a .5 Amp fuse or somethin and jumper across the 12v connector to bypass it completely

Add your comment to this topic!