Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 caravan trans not engaging

munchrow
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
My sisters caravan has been showing codes for a week or two, (don't know which codes at this point), solution so far has been removing the neg terminal for a few minutes. Today however, while she was driving, trans disengaged/slips couldn't go over 5mph.

I went to the van to check it out, at first, I started the engine, R and D engaged fine, so I drove and half a block later trans disengages (engine just revs) and I can hear a whine, reverse is the same, The whine is present in park also(not a belt whine)
I hate to admit that from what I've researched, this seems like rebuild time, but before I break the news to her, I thought I'd post here in case anyone has any Ideas.

thanks in advance

Vanfan
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Did you check the fluid? if its full how burnt does it smell?

munchrow
12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
fluid was full, actually above the full hole on the dipstick, perfect color and didn't smell burnt

Vanfan
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
You need to get them codes read. Many auto parts store's will scan the codes for free.

munchrow
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
will the codes still be there after I took the neg terminal off for 5 min?

Vanfan
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
They should be stored in there until the problem is fixed and then cleared

tempfixit
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
They should be stored in there until the problem is fixed and then cleared

I believe disconnecting battery cable will clear codes. Do the key dance> on/off, on/off, on without starting engine within 5 seconds codes should appear in the odometer. Post codes.

When was the fluid and filter lasted changed and with what fluid?

WHich engine and is it a 3 speed or 4 speed tranny?

munchrow
12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, I'm away from the car till tomorrow, but does the key dance work on a 2000 model? I thought it was code scanner only, if so , I'll keydance tomorrow, instead of towing to autozone/mechanic.

trans is 4 speed, just found out that it is a rebuilt trans less than two years ago, (don't know mileage put on since rebuild though) also, 6 months ago the thing was throwing the code for 'transmission overheating" so shop that rebuilt the trans changed the trans cooler. all I got for now if that makes any differe
nce

tempfixit
12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Ok, I'm away from the car till tomorrow, but does the key dance work on a 2000 model? I thought it was code scanner only, if so , I'll keydance tomorrow, instead of towing to autozone/mechanic.

trans is 4 speed, just found out that it is a rebuilt trans less than two years ago, (don't know mileage put on since rebuild though) also, 6 months ago the thing was throwing the code for 'transmission overheating" so shop that rebuilt the trans changed the trans cooler. all I got for now if that makes any differe
nce

Key dance should work, it does on a 2001 Intrepid> If not you can rent a scanner from autozone by paying a deposit and when you return tool deposit is returned. So you would not have to tow to get scanned.

Has the tranny overheating warning lite been on? Find out what fluid has been installed in the tranny, should be ATF+3 or ATF+4 ONLY (ATF+3 is quite hard to find now days, the ATF+4 is the newer fluid.) IF correct fluid was not used from rebuild could be a vital factor in equation.

A few years back I had a company Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 and the tranny temp lite came on, ending up rebuilding tranny with a rebuilt torque converter. Got it from shop and drove 20 miles down the road and tranny temp lite came on again, ending up being the torque converter in both cases were faulty.

Robertmchenry
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
If all else fails I would take it back to the place that rebuilt the transmission 2 years ago. I'd like them to tell you the transmission THEY rebuilt two years ago needs ANOTHER rebuilt!

Please keep us posted on your progress. :popcorn:

ZPI28
12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
When does the engine light come on? Mine (96 T&C) would shift into second and then it would not go into third, would just rev. It would go into limp mode and if you slowed to 20mph it would jump back into 2nd and stay until you turned it off. I drove the van for about 2 months at 45mph in second gear, got a transmission from a wrecked van and installed it 2 weeks ago. The only problem I had with it after was with the crankshaft sensor. I put my old sensor back in and set it. Now its driving and shifting fine. The trans I pulled out had been rebuilt in 04 and only had 68K miles on it. Find out what code is coming up, if its a "wrong gear" or diff speed or something like that then your trans is shot.

steven

Add your comment to this topic!