Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Winshield washer fluid heater problem

chevygolfguy
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
In my travels on the internet I found GM has issued a recall on these water fluid heaters for the windshield washer unit. Apparantly, usng this feature has shorted out entire dashes in some cases. Supposedly GM is supposed to fix this under the warranty.

Anyone know anything about this amd wether? My vehicle is an 08 Burb.

j cAT
12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
In my travels on the internet I found GM has issued a recall on these water fluid heaters for the windshield washer unit. Apparantly, usng this feature has shorted out entire dashes in some cases. Supposedly GM is supposed to fix this under the warranty.

Anyone know anything about this amd wether? My vehicle is an 08 Burb.

I think I have some info on that...I will send you an email..

chevygolfguy
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I took the vehicle in to a local Chevy dealer and was advised in fact I do have a transmission leak from the bell housing. Service mechanic said the gasket was in the housing was the likely cause. He told me they are seeing this all the time and just so happened to have a Trailblazer on a lift and the bell housing dissassemble to replace the gasket. Same problem.

I am surprised at this as this is my 5th Suburban and about 15th GM product over the last 25 years and I have never had a transmission problem of any kind.

I would be curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.:confused:

j cAT
12-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I thought you had a w/washer problem?
anyway ya the vehicles have leak problems with the transmissions...they are instructed to use metal mender epoxy to repair the casting defects...

chevygolfguy
12-08-2008, 12:04 AM
j caT: You are right. My original reason to visit the dealer was to take care of the windshield heated fluid problem, which was starting fires in the engine compartment in some cases - thus the recall.

Regarding the transmission problem, do you know how prevalent this "problem" is? Are there any service bulletins out there? I have talked to a couple of dealers (including the one who sold it to me) who have told me they have no such problems reported with leaking transmissions. The dealer I took it to told me they are seeing a lot of this problem.

What is even a bit more troublesome is the problem itself and the fix you mentioned. I am not a mechanic, but the fix you described sounds like a bandaid rather than a long-term fix. Maybe it doesn't matter tho so long as GM is around for the 100,000 drive trany warranty?

Thanks for you comments

j cAT
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
j caT: You are right. My original reason to visit the dealer was to take care of the windshield heated fluid problem, which was starting fires in the engine compartment in some cases - thus the recall.

Regarding the transmission problem, do you know how prevalent this "problem" is? Are there any service bulletins out there? I have talked to a couple of dealers (including the one who sold it to me) who have told me they have no such problems reported with leaking transmissions. The dealer I took it to told me they are seeing a lot of this problem.

What is even a bit more troublesome is the problem itself and the fix you mentioned. I am not a mechanic, but the fix you described sounds like a bandaid rather than a long-term fix. Maybe it doesn't matter tho so long as GM is around for the 100,000 drive trany warranty?

Thanks for you comments

I'm no defender of GM designed to fail, screw the vehicle owner.

BUT if this epoxy is done correctly and this is to repair a poorly casted transmission housing ,it should be good for the vehicles expected life.

I myself have used these technics in the marine boating world to repair things of this nature and it is a good fix...

the question of course is ,,,will this be done properly or dealer half azzed....

Add your comment to this topic!