Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 corsica cooling problems

sqhurt295
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
First off, Hello to everyone! What a great site you have here!

I am trying to get my grandfathers car back on the road, It''s a 94 v6 Corsica

Here are the things we have done so far.
Replaced thermostat-(old one was frozen shut)
Both coolant temps-(temp gauge would not work nor fan,did not fix fan though)
Radiator had small holes in it-(got used one from junkyard, looked fairly new)
Flushed cooling system

Here goes, yesterday we replaced the stuck thermostat an flushed the system. An we seemed to have heat finally. Well I toke it for a test drive an the check engine light came on an the temp light came on. I shut it down real quick an coasted to a pull off.. The radiator had busted where it had a small pinhole.

So today I went an pulled a fairly new radiator at a junkyard. Came home threw it in. Now seem to be back at square one. The upper hose balloon''s because of so much pressure, Thought maybe the thermostat was froze an not working right, but tested it in 200 degree water an it opened up for me.. So I threw more flush in it an left the thermostat out so it could all get circulated threw.. Still would build up so much pressure that it come out the radiator cap, it even seemed to climb past half way mark on the temp gauge so I shut it down. Let out the pressure by loosening the cap. an drove it the rest way home with no problems with it overheating.But still would build so much pressure it was coming out of the cap. ( also have a new radiator cap)

Now another thing that was doing from the start, would get a puddle of water on the driver floor. I toke all the plastics off under the dash an the cover that is over the heater core. Everything was dry could not see any moisture/anti-freeze on nor around it! after driving it today when it started to over heat by the time I got home the puddle on the floor had more water there..

So does this sound like it is the heater core, an its plugged no letting coolant to circulate threw it all? I''m lost as what to do next.. Any help or suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated! Need to get my grandfather back on the road! Thanks for any help in advanced ... Oh also with the fan not working I just peeled back some plastic on the blue wire an added another wire to that straight to the positive cable so the fan would run at all times...

sqhurt
11-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Anyone?

sqhurt
11-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Just to let everyone know. sqhurt295 an sqhurt is me, I signed up a long time ago an forgot my pass word an it never sent to my email, but was saved on here so sorry..

As for the car I got it to blow out hot air when it is sitting an idling. Once you start driving for a min the gauge goes up an as it goes up you lose the heat all together... Just cool air blowing out. The temp gauge showed it would go just past 3/4(3rd line on temp)for a min then drop down to 1/4(1st line on temp) The low coolant light stays on the whole time, an the fan doesnt come on... Come on now I know others have experienced things like this.. Throw me bone here

sqhurt
12-01-2008, 08:45 AM
:feedback:

sqhurt
12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
39 views an no reply??? SoOooo GaYyY!!!

rhandwor
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
You should have two hoses going to the heater core. Remove one and connect the other hose to the fitting on the motor. This will isolate the heater core. Go to the scrap yard and buy another one and install it before it gets to cold.
Then feel the bottom heater hose it should be hot if not check for a spring in the lower hose. Remove the thermostat get an old coffee cup and boil some water in the microwave of tea kettle. Lower the thermostat in the water and make sure it opens. If the thermostat is open and the hoses are good take the top radiator hoses off and run water through the top opening and make sure it flows good if not get an exchange. Watch flow direction on thermostat.
I had somebody else who used a new radiator and he removed the pump and had a bad impeller.

sqhurt
12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
You should have two hoses going to the heater core. Remove one and connect the other hose to the fitting on the motor. This will isolate the heater core. Go to the scrap yard and buy another one and install it before it gets to cold.
Then feel the bottom heater hose it should be hot if not check for a spring in the lower hose. Remove the thermostat get an old coffee cup and boil some water in the microwave of tea kettle. Lower the thermostat in the water and make sure it opens. If the thermostat is open and the hoses are good take the top radiator hoses off and run water through the top opening and make sure it flows good if not get an exchange. Watch flow direction on thermostat.
I had somebody else who used a new radiator and he removed the pump and had a bad impeller.

Hey rhandwor, Thanks for your reply! Not sure what your talking about by removing one the heater hose an contacting the other on to the motor.. I got the bottom of the dash apart now an heater core exposed, the line on the passanger side is hot, while the one driver side is warm.. This is normal correct? Now them lines are only like this when it is sitting an puttin of heat, when the temp gauge starts to climb the lines cool off an thats when I get the cold air blowing. I had it at idle for a good hour yesterday an it blew out heat.. Then I revved it up a lil an would blow hotter heat out. There are no visible leaks on or around the heater core. Just at lost of what to do at this point.. An yea I didnt beat the cold lol.. it's 4 hear with windchill an grandfather still out of a car...If money wasn't tight I'd take it to an mechanic.. This car is drivng me nuts, an broke done put almost $200 of my own money in it to try an fix it

jsgold
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Not sure exactly what is going on here but the last time I saw a hose swell up it was in my dad's 89 Olds....had a blown head gasket and pressure was building inside the coolant system...very bad. I hope this is NOT what you have...I would ask though, any water in oil or visa versa? Is the oil milky or odd colored? the other teste suggested to you was to bypass the heater core altogether...by unhooking the hoses and either connect them together or running the one from the motor to where the other hose goes, rather than the core...this would let you know if the core was blocked...a lot of time has passed since your last post, maybe all is well now?

rhandwor
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
If your still having problems I would do a pressure test on the system.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_7050.htm
This is a picture I use a thread adapter for the bottle and put a bolt and clamp on the overflow hose. You could disconnect the hose and connect it to the overflow connection or buy an adapter. Pump it up to appx. 10psi if it pulses the gage when running you have a blown head gasket. Also any radiator shop can do a gas analysis on the anti freeze.
J C Whitney used to have a cheaper unit. Also check http://www.ebay.com/ Search radiator pressure tester.

Add your comment to this topic!