Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stereo Wiring

luckylady_08
11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I am trying to hook up two 12" duals in my 2000 explorer xls and can not find the remote wire. I have tried the blue and black they do not work. Any ideas?

shorod
11-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Does your XLS already have the factory subwoofer? If so, you'll want to disconnect that, and if you are a bit handy in electronics, all the wires you'll need for remote turn on and speaker level output are below the rear seat. However, the factory subwoofer remote turn on lead is a 5V signal with very low current drive. You'll need a MOS relay to trigger an aftermarket amplifier. The 5V signal can't even source enough current to trigger a standard 5V mechanical relay.

If you don't have the factory subwoofer, then you're looking for the Yellow/black wire in terminal location 10 of connector C256.

-Rod

luckylady_08
11-30-2008, 08:11 AM
thank you for the advice shorod. I will try the yellow/black one next. Someone with an Eddie Bauer said to try the yellow/black one too. I do not have a factory sub that I know of but there are all these wires under my drivers seat that I was wondering what they went to. Any ideas?

shorod
11-30-2008, 01:30 PM
They could be for the power seats, seat heaters, and there might be connections there for the seat belt pre-tensioners.

-Rod

luckylady_08
12-06-2008, 08:18 AM
I thought that too but i do not have power seats or seat heaters and some of them are not conected. maybe something taken out?

shorod
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
That's exactly the point. The wiring harness is likely is the same, regardless of the features you have. So, if you don't have seat heaters or power seats, those connectors do not get plugged in. Vehicles would get very expensive if they had a dedicated wiring harness for your particular vehicle and options. Instead, they mass produce a standard wiring harness and use the connections they need for the individual vehicle. Of course there will be some exceptions to this, but generally any production car you look at will have numerous connectors that are not connected.

-Rod

luckylady_08
12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
ok well that makes alot of sense. I never thought about it like that before. Thank you for your knowledge!:)

Add your comment to this topic!