Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No AWD

CutlassOlds88
11-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Just curious if anyone knows what I should try. I have a 1998 Bravada. The AWD doesn't work. There is no service AWD light on. I checked the fuses and the automatic transfer case fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and drove in the snow, still no AWD. Checked the fuse and it was blown again. The service manual I have says that a bad encoder motor will set off a service light. I replaced the transfer case shift module with one from a 1999. That didn't help. What should I try next?

Chris Stewart
12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
You might check the wiring going to the encoder motor for a short since it's blowing fuses. I guess you could check the ohms of the encoder motor for a short or open circuit.

CutlassOlds88
12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I took it to the dealership. The transfer case shift module and the encoder motor are both shot. I got a new module from the junkyard and now that works. Now I need to get a motor.

Chris Stewart
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Have you changed the transfer case fluid to the blue Autotrac II?
Gummed up internals might be what's hurt the old encoder motor.

CutlassOlds88
12-04-2008, 06:37 AM
It was actually just changed with Dexron, but I might have the dealership change it. The old motor keeps blowing the transfer case fuse so I'm pretty sure it's bad.

Chris Stewart
12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
The dealers have been advised to use the blue Autotrac II fluid to address transfer case troubles.

Add your comment to this topic!