Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No spark/no start condition

jrgers
11-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Howdy all.Great site very helpful.My 96 Windstar 3.0 liter w/150XXX miles will not start.Fuel pressure is OK.Pulled 2 different plugs at different times and locations and no spark.Checked + wire to coil pack has 12+plus volts.Replaced coil pack still no start.Replaced both crank and cam sensors and still no spark.Also replaced ignition control module and still no spark.Checked all fuses,all OK.Checked codes w/Actron reader and said no codes.:banghead: Visually checked harness did not see anything obvious.A little history.Drove to store,went inside 20 min,came out no start,waited 20 min and tried again,started right up and drove home w/no prob.Waited 30 min and no start/spark condition started.Anyone have an idea.I'm tried of throwing money at it. Thanks for taking time and reading this post.Joe

wiswind
11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I will try to help as no one has responded.......I have not been down this path.
You were correct to look at what you have so far.

There is +12V to the coil pack with key in start and run through fuse 20 in the I/P fuse panel (by the driver's left foot).

Spark is provided by the PCM providing a momentary ground to the other end of each coil.

This same fuse provides power to the coil of the PCM power relay (in the engine compartment power distribution box...next to battery).
This relay gets energized by a connection to ground at the other side of the coil....through the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module).
Black with Ligh Blue stripe wire.

The CCRM is in front of the battery......on the back side of the radiator support.....big electrical connector visible from under the car.
I have pictures of the CCRM in the pictures that the link in my signature takes you to.
There are a couple of different relays inside the CCRM....and 1 can go bad while the others are fine....although I have not seen any posts of the CCRM being the cause of your problem.....it is worth mention as it can.

Power to the PCM through the PCM power relay is through fuse "S" (30amp) in the power distribution box (red wire to the PCM) hot whenever relay is energized.
Yellow wire from fuse "S" to the relay contact is hot all the time.

searcherrr
02-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Interested to hear what the fix was for this.

I'm very interested in all WEIRD problems that got fixed after someone threw a bunch of money and parts at it.

Fulcrum
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Sounds like the exact same problem I'm now having, and I don't want to throw a ton of $ at it.

I'm really interested in knowing what the fix was.

dougledbetter
10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I had the same symptoms (no spark). After troubleshooting several other things, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and that fixed it.

-dougl

Add your comment to this topic!