Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clueless and Frustrated

farmerjohn12345
11-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Ok 1990 V6 3.1
Hard to start, cycles and revs high, low, high, low while stoppd at a light and will sometimes die out. Start it back up, its back to normal. Then when coming to a stop again, idle revs high,low, high, low. Start up again and go.
Ive cleand out the throttle body (which dosnt have a gasket under it which im thinking is my problem?) Plugs and wires are fine. Fuel Pressure is fine.
Fuel filter is new. What could be the problem?

Airjer_
11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Does the brake pedal ever feel harder to push than usuall when it acts up?

rhandwor
11-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I would use a can of carb. cleaner and spray along the edges of the intake manifold and base of throttle body. If you find a leak the engine will smooth out almost immediately.
Use a bolt and plug the vacuum line to the vacuum booster if it smooths out buy a rebuilt vacuum booster.

farmerjohn12345
11-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Does the brake pedal ever feel harder to push than usuall when it acts up?
Yah actually, or atleast it does sometimes.

Airjer_
11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Lack of vacuum will cause that. Either a vacuum leak as described above or maybe the EGR valve sticking open slightly. If it does it right away from a cold start that you can touch the metal tube in between the EGR valve and the exhaust manifold. If it is stuck open it will be EXTREMELY HOT, so be careful!!!

farmerjohn12345
11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Lack of vacuum will cause that. Either a vacuum leak as described above or maybe the EGR valve sticking open slightly. If it does it right away from a cold start that you can touch the metal tube in between the EGR valve and the exhaust manifold. If it is stuck open it will be EXTREMELY HOT, so be careful!!!
I doubt the EGR thats brand new. I got it 4-6 months ago. Oh well.
Im gonna try the tricks you guys gave me and see what comes of it.
Thanks!.

Add your comment to this topic!