Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 GMC Jimmy

AJW85
11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
The alternator in my Jimmy went out the other day while my wife was driving it. When I got home I started the car with no problems but the batter only had about 9 volts of charge left on it. I took the alternator in to schucks and it was bad and put in a new one but now I have absolutely no power to anything. A mechanic i know looked at it and tested some stuff while i was at work and cannot figure out what the problem is. The only thing i can think it could be is a blown fuse, blown fuseable link or maybe even a defective alternator. I checked the fuses on the left side of the dash and they were all fine but I've heard about a fuse box in the engine compartment but i cant find it, the fuseable link between the alternator and battery was pretty messed up so we bypassed that with some 10 awg copper wire but that didnt change anything.

Does anyone have a suggestion to my problem?

MT-2500
11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Welcome to AF.

What engine?
Did you charge up your battery?
What is your battery voltage at battery post and at cabels and at starter solenoid?

Are battery cabels & ends good shape?
Did you short out any wires changing alt?

Check for battery power to fuse block.
Check for 12 volt battery to back of alt on big wire
And make sure you got all big wires back on new alt.
If no power to fuse block start checking fiuse links on bot sides of them.

AJW85
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome to AF.

What engine?
Did you charge up your battery?
What is your battery voltage at battery post and at cabels and at starter solenoid?

Are battery cabels & ends good shape?
Did you short out any wires changing alt?

Check for battery power to fuse block.
Check for 12 volt battery to back of alt on big wire
And make sure you got all big wires back on new alt.
If no power to fuse block start checking fiuse links on bot sides of them.

Thank you

The engine is a 4.3 L
The battery was fully charged and i even traded out with a battery that i knew worked
I personally didn't test voltage but a mechanic friend did and he was able to fire the starter by shorting it and he did have voltage at the battery, it just seems to not go anywhere else.

Battery cable ends are in good shape even before this problem we did however find the fusable link between the pos terminal and the alternator was kinda fried so that makes me think theres more of this problem.

Battery was disconnected when I installed the new alternator

My mechanic friend went through the electrical and tested several points so i couldnt say for sure what all has been tested but it seems he's stumped after playing with it for a few hours.
and the alternator is connected with everything, pos, neg and 4 pin terminal

I'm wondering if you know anything about a fuse box under the hood for this year, I've read that its on the passenger wheel well but all i found is a black box that is not very easy to get into that has a bunch of wires plugged into it. Any ideas?

MT-2500
11-28-2008, 03:38 PM
No fuse box under the hood.
As in first post the key question you did not answer.
FIRST CHECK IS.
Check for battery voltage to big terminal on alternator.
If power there check for battery 12 volts from back of alt to junction box under hood left rear engine compartment

If 12 volts there go to fuse box and see if it is getting 12 volts battery power from fuse block.

The black box you found may be the battery junction block.
Is it on left rear of engine compartment?
What kind of wires go in and out of it?

AJW85
11-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, ill check that as soon as i can get ahold of a tester and ill report back to ya.

The box in question is black square but fairly thin, its mounted into the radiator coolant reserve and has two labels "white" "black". it also has grooves in it almost like a heat sink but spaced out further.

Thank you very much for the help.

MT-2500
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, ill check that as soon as i can get ahold of a tester and ill report back to ya.

The box in question is black square but fairly thin, its mounted into the radiator coolant reserve and has two labels "white" "black". it also has grooves in it almost like a heat sink but spaced out further.

Thank you very much for the help.

That one is the VCM/computer and is on right dide.
The left side is the drivers side.

Add your comment to this topic!