Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Halp with brake disc color

tpliquid
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Im looking to mix the color or carbon discs on the porsche and ferrari cars.

can anyone point in in the right direction as to which colors i need to mix to get the right tone/color?

MPWR
11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
The best way to handle this sort of thing (really, the only good way) is to look at some pics of the braking systems you're trying to model. Then simply select the best color (or combination of colors) that match the parts you're trying to represent.

Using a 'recommended' color is arbitrary, inherently subjective, lazy, and usually incorrect.

klutz_100
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
For example I used a 60% Tamiya Gunmetal / 40% Tamiya flat black mix in the carbon discs HERE (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4994900&postcount=91)

racer93
11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I've found that using a "stipling" technique with Tamiya gunmetal works well. Sorry, no pics of my work, but I've had good reviews of it. Also, I thought just straight gunmetal works pretty well.

tpliquid
11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
thanks for the info guys!!

willimo
11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
The best way to handle this sort of thing (really, the only good way) is to look at some pics of the braking systems you're trying to model. Then simply select the best color (or combination of colors) that match the parts you're trying to represent.

Using a 'recommended' color is arbitrary, inherently subjective, lazy, and usually incorrect.

Not everyone is very good at being able to look at a color and figuring what colors would go together to make that happen. I sure am not. I could try a hundred times to mix some paints and it would look totally wrong, or I could ask what others with a keener eye came up with and get at least a jumping off point.

When modeling, it's good to push your limits, but also good to know them.

675datsun
11-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Not everyone is very good at being able to look at a color and figuring what colors would go together to make that happen. I sure am not. I could try a hundred times to mix some paints and it would look totally wrong, or I could ask what others with a keener eye came up with and get at least a jumping off point.

When modeling, it's good to push your limits, but also good to know them.
+1
Well said, Will.

I used the same combo as Klutz, but I also throw in some X-11.

Seamus McRae
11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
I generally lay down an initial coat of flat black then dry-brush the disk with gunmetal. When all is dry, depending on my mood & chosen subject, I might then do another dry-brush with met grey, in different spots to show some contrast

Add your comment to this topic!