Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your opinion needed on purchasing a Jeep GC

jusber15
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Im really interested in this Jeep however I dont know much about the grand Cherokees history of problems. Please let me know what problems these may have and what I should look for when I am inspecting it.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee ORVIS Edition. 119,000 miles, V8, power everything, good tires, clean vehicle, recent tune up, transmission was replaced 17,000 miles ago at the dealer with a Chrysler Reman (with receipts to prove it). Everything works, body is good, no current problems. I can purchase it for $3300.00

I appreciate any opinions you may have. Thanks for you time.

MagicRat
11-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Look at www.carsurvey.org for hundreds of owner-written reviews.

With the Grand Cherokee, generally the 6 cyl engine with the basic 4 wheel drive system appears to be the most reliable choice.
The V8 / Selec-Trac combo seems to give some people trouble. However, there are some reviews where this combo seems to work well.

Also, these trucks do require a bit more maintenance than a regular car, but obviously they can do more work than a car, too. Some reviewers seem to forget this and condemn the truck for what are regular wear and maintenance issues.

arks
11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
That Orvis Edition is a nice vehicle- I almost bought one myself.
KBB lists that car at the following values: Excellent $3840, Good $3440. Fair $2920. Your $3300 price is in that ballpark, but with the current economic situation I'll bet you could do significantly better.
FWIW, I've had a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited for the past 5 years. It's basically the same vehicle but with the 360 V8. Love all the luxury and power, but it just isn't built very well- especially for a vehicle that cost way over $30,000 when new. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but....there are better built SUV's out there for the same money. Mine has always had annoying buzzes and rattles in the interior, and I've had to replace some oddball parts that don't normally go bad (speakers, interior light dimmer, electric cooling fan). IMO they used cheap parts to build this so-called "luxury" SUV. As far as the engine and driveline, at 145,000 it's been OK but I did have the transmission replaced at 95,000 miles. And YES- I've always maintained it properly.

Don't get enamored by all the nice Orvis details- look at some other SUV's in that price range and go for a test drive. You might just find something that's built better. (Hint- the Explorer Limiteds are NICE). Just my 2 cents.

wafrederick
11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Stay with one with the 4.0 and it gets the better fuel mileage than the V8.The V8 is a gas hog due to being fulltime 4wd.The 1999 and up have the better headlights.

reekor
12-01-2008, 12:43 AM
There is no such thing as a V8 / Selec-Trac combo, all V8 models came with Quadra-Trac transfer case while the 6 cyl engine came with the Selec-Trac and Quadra-Trac as an upgrade option. The problem with the Quadra-Trac transfer case is the vicious coupling which fails with age. The vicious coupling costs about $500 alone and most people opt out of repairing them and swap the Quadra-Trac transfer case for a Selec-Trac out of a 6 cyl as I have done myself. The Selec-Trac has more 4wd options vs the Quadra-Trac but has to be manually engaged as where the Quadra-Trac is a hands off automatic transfer case.

Look at www.carsurvey.org for hundreds of owner-written reviews.

With the Grand Cherokee, generally the 6 cyl engine with the basic 4 wheel drive system appears to be the most reliable choice.
The V8 / Selec-Trac combo seems to give some people trouble. However, there are some reviews where this combo seems to work well.

Also, these trucks do require a bit more maintenance than a regular car, but obviously they can do more work than a car, too. Some reviewers seem to forget this and condemn the truck for what are regular wear and maintenance issues.

reekor
12-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Someone had lied to you. The V8 models are not fulltime 4wd. In normal conditions they are in 2wd mode, once the rear wheels slip the Quadra-Trac transfer case auto engages into 4WD. Both the 4.0 and 5.2 are great engines and the 5.2 gets about 2 mpg less highway. The 5.9 models get 3 mpg less highway.

Stay with one with the 4.0 and it gets the better fuel mileage than the V8.The V8 is a gas hog due to being fulltime 4wd.The 1999 and up have the better headlights.

wafrederick
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
The models with the v8s are fulltime 4wd and I am not lying about including my father

Add your comment to this topic!