Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 VW Jetta;starting/running problem

Salitrynski
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope someone can help. It starts but you need to feather gas pedal to keep going. During warmup - for the first 5 minutes, it runs fine. Then gas drops right off to almost stalling. Must feather gas pedal while it runs rough. Then it clears and revs fines. Also, while warmed up, it starts missing like the gas is turned off for a while, 2 to 30 seconds before it starts running right again. I have the "Haynes" book, but numerous times the pictures do not correspond to the actual car. Sometimes it is hard to find the part I am looking for. Thank you.

irbf
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
This could be a number of things. When you start the car does it start normal or struggle where you have to play with the gas pedal?

How many miles are on the car?

Did this problem just start or has it been going on for some time. Are you driving it in dry or wet weather?

Salitrynski
11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you for responding. The car has about 130,000 miles. The problem has been going on and off for a while but now it is happening a 100% of the time. It happens in wet and dry weather.

"When you start the car does it start normal or struggle where you have to play with the gas pedal?" It struggles.

I have replaced fuel filter, new coil, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and new wires and it still acts the same.

When it starts missing when you are driving, it is usually about the same amount of distance driven each time. Could it possibly be the thermo time switch?

We have had it to several mechanics and they cannot figure it out.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

roger0520
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
check to make sure exhaust is coming out of the tailpipe if the cat is starting to clog up it will cause random missfires and run like crap hope that helps

Add your comment to this topic!