Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Opinions on H.I.D. kits...

rock0134
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
What are your guys' opinions on the quality of H.I.D. kits compared to a regular brighter bulb like silverstar. I've heard they are only a little better normal, and worse in the fog than halogens....

I'm looking at getting an H.I.D. kit for my 05 F-150. I will have to get kits for the driving lights and the fog lights. Do they work as your low beams and high beams both??

SilvrEclipse
11-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I would do it. All the cars I have rode in that have HIDs have awesome light output compared to my car. So if I could add them to mine using stock lights I would.

Now an F 150 sits higher and probably has better headlights then the 2gs so they may shine a lot better than an eclipse anyways and may not need to be changed. I know in my moms explore it looks like f*ckin day time in front of that car so I wouldn't change them.

I guess if the lights are kick ass in the stock form I would leave them alone. But if not then change them.

rock0134
11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Well... they are pretty good at night especially since the fogs are really bright. But I hate night driving so all the help I can get is worth it to me. Night driving with the eclipse is hell. My projectors with hid knockoff blue bulbs suck dick at light output and especially in the rain. And the car being so low I get blinded by every car or truck driving behind me....:(

***One quick thing: I already ordered them for the lows and the fogs, are they going to work with the stock headlights??? I read in the H.I.D. writeup in the tech section here that if it's a mirrored lens it wont??? Confused...

SilvrEclipse
11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
The bulbs will fit in your stock housings but with the diamond back housings its going to scatter light like a b*tch. HID lenses cut the light off so that the light is not scattered into the eyes of other people. With diamond back housings you cannot control where the light goes. It MAY make your light brighter on the road but people are going to get blinded when they come toward you. In aftermarket housing HID conversion can be done.

vanilla gorilla
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, me and my buddies put HIDs in all the cars. They are super bright compared to any standard bulb. I say go for it, you wont be dissapointed.
And everybody always says dont put them in your stock lights, it scatters the light and blinds people. Although it may "scatter the light" the difference in light output is literally day and night compared to standard bulbs and those crappy "HID look" bulbs.
And about blinding people....I thought that was the whole point???

rock0134
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Lol sweet then i'm glad i'm doing it. It'll be nice to be the "blinder" and not the "blindee" for a change.

Thor06
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
It'll be nice to be the "blinder" and not the "blindee" for a change.
Why is that a good thing? :rolleyes:

My dad hit a deer he couldn't see which caused hundreds of dollars of damage to his truck and my other friend damn near totaled his truck because of the douche bags that think HID's are so sweet. I've never actually hit anything, but I cant even count how many times I almost hit another car, a median, or a guardrail because there's some rice fucker riding my ass with his MaD tYtE hId'z a-blazin since I moved to Minneapolis. Its one thing to upgrade the bulbs in a car that doesn't have great head lights to begin with, but IMO HID's are a whole different story. But if you want to be that ass hole then go for it.

SilvrEclipse
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
HIDs are MUCH brighter than regular bulbs. Have you even actually looked into a beam of light from an HID light? Its probably twice as bad as if you look into the beam from a regular bulb. I would find you a car that has HIDs in it and look at the headlights when they are one and see how bad the light blinds you when you stand in its path. The problem is that those lights are designed so they wont blind you and your wont be.

It looks like you have ebay lights already. If so you can put HID lenses in them so they will cut the light off correctly.

vanilla gorilla
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Nah, hes putting them in an F150.

To sum it all up...
If you want some pimp ass bright head lights that blind people, then do it.
I say go for it

fktahoe
11-26-2008, 11:41 PM
yea dude i got HID's on my tahoe blue 10000k's and i freaking love them .....ebay for 82 buck for the lows and 82 bucks for the highs! i will never go back to halogen again!

rock0134
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Why is that a good thing? :rolleyes:

My dad hit a deer he couldn't see which caused hundreds of dollars of damage to his truck and my other friend damn near totaled his truck because of the douche bags that think HID's are so sweet. I've never actually hit anything, but I cant even count how many times I almost hit another car, a median, or a guardrail because there's some rice fucker riding my ass with his MaD tYtE hId'z a-blazin since I moved to Minneapolis. Its one thing to upgrade the bulbs in a car that doesn't have great head lights to begin with, but IMO HID's are a whole different story. But if you want to be that ass hole then go for it.

Dude you are such an opinionated douche. Like i've never seen H.I.D.'s on a car before. I know how bright they are. Do you realize how many cars have them? It's not rice at all either, HID's are not a cheap tacky upgrade. All the top of the line cars have them so they must be good for something right? You don't, however, see $55,000 cars with tire fly's or neons.. that's rice. Living in areas with a lot of deer and dark streets I would like to have better lighting, just like so many other people do. Upgrading just the bulbs to cheap halogen "XXXX K" has been proven to produce less light output than stock so why the hell would you do that ricer?? I would think that people getting distracted by your ugly ass purple talon could cause more accidents than a brighter headlight anyways.

SilvrEclipse
11-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Rock - You need to chill out a little man. Dustin was in no way saying that HID bulbs are rice. They are a lot better than halogen bulbs and do provide much better light output. However, any car that has them from the factory has the correct lenses and is designed to not shine in other drivers eyes.

When you just throw some HID bulbs in your headlights that are not designed for them is selfish IMO. They ARE going to scatter light and shine in other peoples eyes and could cause them to hit something. This is what Dustin was referring to as rice. I dont know if I would call it rice but a little bit selfish I would say.

Thor06
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Wait... wasn't the purpose of this thread asking for opinions? Yes? Well then dont get your panties all up in a twist when you get mine.

I personally know of two people that have had hundreds of dollars and thousands of dollars of damage done to their vehicles, thank god neither got physically injured, due to not being able to see because of really bight bulbs and I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they weren't on any $55,000 car either. There IS a difference between the HID's on BMW's and Benz's than the ones people in Minneapolis and everywhere else buy on eBay and put on their low end economy cars, and it only takes a night of driving to figure that out.

Jason is absolutely right. Getting really bright lights, not doing it right, and not caring that you are running around blinding people and potentially putting their car and/or them in a compromising position is selfish at absolute BEST, I think its just plain being prick.

That said, if you want them so fucking bad then go for it. I absolutely know what you mean about wanting to see better, our difference is just that I am just unwilling to compromise another person for it.

rock0134
11-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Dustin was in no way saying that HID bulbs are rice.

I almost hit another car, a median, or a guardrail because there's some rice fucker riding my ass with his MaD tYtE hId'z a-blazin

So that isn't him saying HIDs are rice? Wierd must've misunderstood.

SilvrEclipse
11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Dude come on, he wasn't saying that the HID bulbs are rice. Everyone knows that HID bulbs have a better light output and are much better than any halogen bulb. It was be stupid to say that HID bulbs are rice. But when people just stick them in their housings that are not made for them then it becomes rice.

Like I said earlier I wouldn't really call it rice but more of a selfish act.

david-b
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I have people are here that throw HIDs in their stock Civic lights and don't even mount them right. I look in my mirror and see one light shining upward in my eyes and the other going off the side and pointing down. That's rice... no, I take that back, just f-en stupid for the fact that people won't take the time to install thing correctly. Or they install projectors with HIDs, and then don't fasten them down properly so then they shake when driving, and looks like there's a cop flashing his lights behind you.

I also hate when trucks have them, where they sit even with my mirrors, and can't see for shit. There's a lot of those around here, and there's nothing you can do but move the mirrors so they're reflecting back in their eyes. Then they get the point.

I wouldn't personally get HIDs. Since I put projectors in, my lights have been a lot brighter with the stock bulbs. If I need more lights, then I flip on high beams and stay back away from people and turn them off when other cars are coming at me. Easy as that.

:popcorn:

Add your comment to this topic!