Vaiable valve timing control sensor or camshaft position sensor?

99 Mazda Roadster
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a 99 Miata 1800cc. My mechanic told me that I need a variable valve timing control sensor. Tried looking this up on various websites, but i can't find it. Does anyone know if the variable valve timing control sensor is the same thing as the camshaft position sensor?

07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
VVT did not start appearing until 2001 as I recall. 1999 cars used cam position sensors (a lot cheaper to replace!). Trust me, I have a 1999 Miata that I have modified a little and enjoy a lot. Your mechanic is either an idiot or a liar and is trying to stick you with an expensive fake repair.

The CPS is VERY easy to replace and is very accessible. Right on the left front of the valve cover, one bolt holds it on and the wiring plug clips on and off easily. No adjustment on a '99 car, just go to Advance or AutoZone and get a replacement. It's a two minute job.

They don't fail often. Take it off and use some spray throttle body cleaner (an aerosol can also from Advance\AutoZone) and clean off the end that sticks in the valve cover. That might take care of your problem.

12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
If your '99 happens to have an '01 motor, the VVT is actuated directly by the oil pressure.
No electronics are involved.

Add your comment to this topic!