2003 cavalier: cooling fans wont stop running

drifttruck99
11-22-2008, 03:31 AM
my friend has had a 2003 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotech engine and 90k miles. she called me on my way home with a rather odd problem. she called me and said she drove her car less than a mile to the local sheetz. when she got out she shut the car off. when she got home she noticed her cooling fans were running. (as far as she went there is no way the car couldve over heated) when she took her dog outside she said the fans were still running. She called me and i went there after work. i had her disconnect her battery until i got there, first thing i checked was wether or not there was antifreeze in it . it was normal. when i connected the battery the fans kicked on immediatly. and this was after a 35 minute drive in 20 degree weather. im leanin on the coolant temperture sensor or the relay since it is fairly new but i dont want to have her replacing every single sensor in the car without doin a little research on it first. i figured what better place than here to ask to see if anyone else had this problem or had a general idea on what it could be. So....any educated guesses? thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

P.S. she didnt notice the temp guage in the car move at all.

brcidd
11-22-2008, 09:51 AM
It sounds like a stuck relay- it has to be- look for it in your underhood fuseblock- pull it out- fan should stop- swap it with another relay like the a/c relay or blower motor relay to test- or just tap on it- to see if it is indeed bad- then install a new one.....if you are sure it's the relay..

muff34
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
so the car is shut off and fans are still running? I`d be looking at faulty ignition. heater controls set at defrost.

drifttruck99
11-25-2008, 04:40 AM
problem fixed! it was a broken relay. which reminds me i looked up the part on the advanced auto parts website (they seem to be more knowledgable around here) the part listed for 21.99 so i went there to buy her one and they run the number on the relay instead and it turned out to be 11.29. So it was a pretty cheap fix. thanks guys!

Add your comment to this topic!