Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 intrepid problem

flo96
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
i have a 1996 dodge intrepid and i have been having problems with it. it seems to miss alot sometimes it feels like the engine is going to jump right out of the hood also when im at a stop light or just idiling it will sometimes just die out also i have been gettin about 50- 75 miles less per tank of gas recently it had an episode were it died out now it wont start again this has happend before and i ended up replacing the pcm module and now a week later the same thing happend? any suggestions let me know

tempfixit
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
i have a 1996 dodge intrepid and i have been having problems with it. it seems to miss alot sometimes it feels like the engine is going to jump right out of the hood also when im at a stop light or just idiling it will sometimes just die out also i have been gettin about 50- 75 miles less per tank of gas recently it had an episode were it died out now it wont start again this has happend before and i ended up replacing the pcm module and now a week later the same thing happend? any suggestions let me know

Which engine???

Is CHECK ENGINE Lite on???

Have you checked for codes? Autozone, etc will check codes for free, they jusst want to sell you parts. You can also retrieve codes by doing the key dance: Turn igntion switch on/off, on/off, and on without starting engine. Not sure on a 96 if the check engine flashes or watch the odometer for the code number. (Example) Check engine lite flash pause flash, flash means code 12. Post any codes.

Check your Camshaft Sensor and Crankshaft sensor, they normally will not thro a code. Go to this site and it will explain testing procedure:

http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html

click on ARRC emblem
enter library for userid and paswword
click on Auto Repair Refernce Center
choose year, then make, model, and engine, then repair procedure.
Go to electronic engine controls and camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor.

Good Luck and hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!