What are the Different Smog requirements for California and Texas

11-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Anyone know how difficult to get a Dodge Intrepid, 2002 era to pass California Smog? I am looking to buy a very good condition Dodge Intrepid to register in California. It came from Texas. About 75,000 miles and looks very good condition. I know the guy selling it so its not a rip off type car, but it did come from Texas.
Are there anything that I should be aware of before buying it?

11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I found this info on this website: (http://www.arb.ca.gov/knowzone/faq/faq.htm)

May I register a vehicle from out of state in California?

Any vehicle meeting California standards may be registered at any time. Vehicles not meeting California standards can only be registered if they were obtained as a "used" vehicle (used vehicle must have at least 7,500 miles at the time of purchase). Non-California vehicles can also be registered by individuals moving to California from other states.

So I think you're good to go.

11-20-2008, 05:52 PM
As long as the orginal emissions control system is intact and functional, there shouldn't be an issue. If emissions related components have been disconnected or removed, they will need to be reconnected or replaced. There are no required retrofits for a 49-state car that enters California. It just has to have the original equipment and pass the treadmill test. Of course, if an existing emissions device has stopped functioning and the car does not pass the test, the malfunctioning device will require replacement and a retest passed.

Add your comment to this topic!