Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hazard lights not working....?

Fatslicks
11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Hello--

About 4 years ago my Tacoma got broken into and the steering wheel was used as a prying lever for someone to try and get the stereo out. Insurance took care of replacing the stereo and center console panels, but there was a lingering problem that I didn't know about until very recently.

One day while I was driving, I made a left turn and the horn just started to blare. It continued intermittently anytime I moved the steering wheel. I figured that the quick fix was to pull the fuse for the horn so I did---out of sight out of mind. I didn't think about it until recently when I needed to use my hazard lights the other night and they didn't work.

I've done a little poking around on the forum here and am under the impression that the turn signal flasher relay is also used for the hazards (if I'm mistaken please let me know). I looked at the horrible wiring diagram in my Chilton's for the truck and saw that the horn circuit is tied to the hazard switch---could that be the cause of my hazard's not working? Left and right turn signals work fine.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated----

Flash75
11-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Knowing the year of your truck may help. I think you will have to sort out each circuit separately. I looked at the hazard lights wiring diagram for 2000 trucks and see the horn wire giong into the hazard switch. In the horn wiring diagram it doesn't show the horn circuit to be tied in the hazards, it shows the signal going to a relay.

Clifton

Fatslicks
11-20-2008, 11:36 AM
My truck is a '99 Tacoma with a 2.7L 4 cylinder.

I'm really not very talented when it comes to electrical stuff. I'm guessing that the horn switch inside the steering wheel is messed up and needs to be replaced----is it easier just to replace the steering wheel than to deal with the airbag set up? With my luck it would blow up in my face.

Am I right in thinking that if the turn signals work that the flasher module doesn't need replacing?

Flash75
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Older vehicles had separate flashers for the hazard lights, it appears newer vehicles do not, I think your assumption is right. Looking at my 04 shop manual the hazards and horn share a common fuse. I would remove the terminals at the horn and replace the fuse and see if the hazards work. If they do your horn switch is probably bad. I believe the air bag will have to be removed to replace the steering wheel or check the horn switch. Trouble shooting chart for the horn suggests switch and wiring harness for a horn that blows all the time, that the closest symptom to your problem they list. Since your steering wheel was used as a prying lever I would check the switch first. Hope this information helps.

Clifton

Fatslicks
11-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Clifton--

I will try a few things this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Cheers--

Scrapper
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
are you sure this don't have two flashers one for turn and one for emf? if you don't know i would get a haynes manual for that. you will need it later on if your keeping van? chilton use to be good manuls but i think haynes is better. i really don't think that has two flashers. give autozone a call or advanced and any other parts store to see if it calls for two

Add your comment to this topic!