Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03' GLI #1 cylinder Misfire

hx214
11-19-2008, 08:11 AM
(2003 GLI, 6 speed, 2.8 VR6)

Was driving home in the snow yesterday, and the car started to idle funny and sputter at a traffic light. After I got up to speed, the check engine light came on and the car started to shutter and shake a bit. I figured I fouled a plug, but I wanted to check what the picture of the little "engine" meant. (Nice multilingual display VW! haha) The book told me it could be 100 different things. Went to Autozone, pulled the code, and it said cylinder 1 was misfiring. Bought new plugs, went home changed them out, still misfiring. So I did a bit of reading and found out that the over plug coil is probably the problem. (The big LONG boot that goes over each plug.) I called a few stores, and the only place that could get it for me was Autozone but they had to order it. I am thinking that the new coil will solve the problem, but if it doesn't what else am I looking at? Is there a master coil that runs each plug wire that would need to be changed? I have read the JB weld fix on the coil pack, but are they calling each "over plug coil" a coil pack, or is that something completely different? My other vehicles are a 93 s-10 and a Jeep Wrangler, so this type of electrical system is completely foreign to me (no pun intended)

I also had another question. When I was looking through the owners manual, I noticed a little screen that is on the dashboard in the book. It shows Miles per gallon, Outside temp and a few other things. I have never seen that display on my car. Does the GLI have that? Or is that the GLX model? If there is suppose to be one there, is there a switch to turn it on or something? I checked the fuse box on the driver door side, and while I didn't know what fuse went to the dash (The little pictures on the fuse box door screwed me again!) I couldn't find a fuse that was blown so if the screen is suppose to be on, I think my problems are elsewhere.

Thanks for any info. and help.

veedubmechanic
11-19-2008, 09:31 PM
the coilpacks are a common issue, there are 6 and no master. I actually have a few new ones that I took off a core engine that are good if you want one 25.00 shipped paypal in the states.

Also the MFI display is on the glx models, I believe the gli does not come with it but if it does you should have a button on the wiper stalk that says "reset" and then a up down button on the end of the stalk.

hx214
11-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Dang, I wish I would have checked here first. I had one shipped to the local store last night. I ordered one for a 03' GLI 2.8

The coil they gave me, looks similar, however the top of it is completely different. My coil is skinnier on top, and the plug for the wires, plugs into the top of the coil. The coil they gave me, is fatter on top, and the plug connects on the side of the coil cap. (Basically, instead of being vertical on top, the plug is at a 90 degree angle.)

I thought maybe duralast just made a different design, so I took it and went home, I tried to install it, and the top of the coil is so much thicker that it won't even slide into place.

I jumped on the internet last night and got onto Autozone and Advanced Auto's website, and they coil they show for my car looks like this...

http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId,2883501/initialAction,partTypeResultSet/initialN,16200027/shopping/vehicleSelected.htm

My coil looks like this....

http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId,2933901/initialAction,partTypeResultSet/initialN,16200027/shopping/vehicleSelected.htm

Needless to say I had to order it from the main warehouse, and paid about 40 bux... I'll be checking with you before I order anything from them again.. plus it's going to take at least 3 days to get here so that means I get to drive the soft top jeep in 10 degree weather for the next 3 days.... Yippie!

My question here is... Are these databases in the auto parts stores wrong? Or am I wrong? They don't have a GLI listed in 2004 but the part that is showing for the 2003 GLI is wrong. Was my engine made late 03' and I should be asking for 04' parts?

veedubmechanic
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
the coil they gave you is for a 1.8L turbo engines only. I have lots of those 2.8 24v coils from a core engine all new

Add your comment to this topic!