Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

idle problems durango 2000

lildinki
11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
My 2000 durango 4.7 4wdrive has been acting strange for about a week now. Started out not wanting to idle right when I started it, I used to have to tap the gas to get it to start now if I touch the gas when starting it , I will be there for 20 mins trying to get it to stay running. If I let it start on its own it idles really high,Now when I drive it the truck acts like it is pulling a house behind it, It idles way high. I have replaced the tps and is still haveing same problems. There is no problem lights coming on in dash and can count the shifts of the trans. So I kinda clueless on what to check next. Please help

hundahunta
11-21-2008, 01:35 AM
either a vacuum leak or a bad idle air control motor

spaul
12-10-2008, 07:41 PM
My 2000 durango 4.7 4wdrive has been acting strange for about a week now. Started out not wanting to idle right when I started it, I used to have to tap the gas to get it to start now if I touch the gas when starting it , I will be there for 20 mins trying to get it to stay running. If I let it start on its own it idles really high,Now when I drive it the truck acts like it is pulling a house behind it, It idles way high. I have replaced the tps and is still haveing same problems. There is no problem lights coming on in dash and can count the shifts of the trans. So I kinda clueless on what to check next. Please helpCHECK FOR A VACUUM LEAK OR INTAKE LEAK..THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR IT.

mzdeal
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
My '99 5.9 has twice had similar problems that were caused by only a small amount of carbon build-up in the throttle body. Doesn't take much to leak air past the butterfly, or to obstruct idle air flow.

Easy to fix. Just pull the filter and look for "dirt" in the TB.
Clean it up with some cleaner.

I've done this twice and it ran great thereafter.

atmrorg
02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey, i have a customer that went crazy with the same issues and brought me his 99 durango 5.9l with rough iddle, cold start problem and excessive fuel compsumtion. i did check everything and determine that a combination of lower intake and intake pan gaskets plus a bad cooland sensor caused all this. first i did the gaskets and improved some but what really made a big change was the coolant sensor. remember this sensor tells the ecu what temp. is at engine all times and the ecu regulates fuel delivery. in this case the sensor was reading hot at all times so the fuel delivery was minimal causing the rough idle and cold start problem. try sensor, cost abou $15 to $20 first and see. good luck.

mzdeal
02-15-2009, 05:51 PM
FYI, to save money you might be able to substitute a variable resistor (potentiometer) for the temp sensor and set it at the appropriate resistance for normal operating temperature, 180-200 degrees. I don't know what that value is, but it might be in the shop manual. I know the manual does list, for example, the resistance/temperature charts for the IAT sensor. This would be a free check if you've got the potentiometer. (I have all this sort of junk in my garage).

Add your comment to this topic!