94 Bonneville leaking coolant on the LEFT side of engine!?

j-deazy45
11-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I just replaced the water pump on my b-ville just a couple of days ago. When I started the car early this week, I was letting her warm up because i was a cold morning, then all of the sudden I saw smoke comming from under my hood! I opened my hood to investigate, it smelled like burning plastic, I thought that my exhaust was melting my throtle cable or something. Stopped the engine and started it again no problems. Yesterday I noticed a flow coming from under my car while warming up, opened the hood and saw a constant drip of coolant comming off of my TPS! It has been dripping onto my exhast and down on my trans case. Does any one know why or where this is comming from? (The car has now started hesitating on acceleration, idles high at startup, and my trans (just replaced in april) won't shift into 4th.)

wafrederick
11-15-2008, 03:20 PM
That is the throttle base gasket.The series 1 3800s do have problems with the upper intakes too and I have seen one do this.

maxwedge
11-15-2008, 07:37 PM
The 4th gear issue is usually not related to the coolant leak unless it damaged the tps which would set a code. If necessary to trace down the leak a pressure test should be done.

j-deazy45
11-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Alright, I took off the throtle body today and replaced the gasket, the coolant leak stopped! YES!......BUT, after I put everything back together and cranked her up, she reved up to 3000 RPM, and stayed there, I cut her off and tried again and she was a little bit more calm but still tried to climb higher in RPM'S, the worst part is that there is still smoke coming out from the ends of the heat shield on the exhust under the TPS. It smells like something burning, and has a scent simular to witchhazel...so what now?

maxwedge
11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Could be burning off the old coolant, I would scan it and look at the tps inputs, also check for gummed up iac and did you clean up the throttle body and passages.

j-deazy45
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
No I didn't actually, I was a little scared to be honest. I looked into the "tunnel" in the engine block when I took the throtle body off, and it looked completely black, I figured there was a way to clean that but I thought that I might cause more damage. I looked in the repair manuals and they did not have any procedures. Could you tell me the best and proper way to clean it? Do you think this will solve my problems?

Scrapper
11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
why did you replace fuel pump anyway not to be a s.a. and did you change timing belt? and it has to be right where you was working on it if it didn't do that before you changed pump. could be bad pump or hoses if it is sealed propper? next thing i'd at least is checking C/T on all cyls.

j-deazy45
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't change the fuel pump! I changed the water pump because it had failed and coolant was dripping from the weep hole behind the pulley. I did not change the serpintine belt because it was in good shape when I inspected it. I think I may know what my problem is though, my heater core went out a couple of months ago and I had my coolant rerouted to go back into the engine instead of leaking on my floor. Do you think that this can be causing some problems also.

Jrs3800
11-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I didn't change the fuel pump! I changed the water pump because it had failed and coolant was dripping from the weep hole behind the pulley. I did not change the serpintine belt because it was in good shape when I inspected it. I think I may know what my problem is though, my heater core went out a couple of months ago and I had my coolant rerouted to go back into the engine instead of leaking on my floor. Do you think that this can be causing some problems also.

I do not feel that cause any of your issues...

The location or your leak could be a couple of things and the Throttle Body may not have been the complete issue...

Are there any leaks left at all..

Also L27 Tuned Port 3800's are not known for upper intake issues, but that does not mean they don't fail and require replacement.. The Gasket fro the upper and lower can also fail as well as and seal for the cover plate under the Throttle Body... So there are several areas that can leak..

Let us know how you are making out with this..

Add your comment to this topic!