Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Buick LeSabre Hybrid check engine light on first drive of the day

waff596
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
And by hybrid, I mean a transition OBD I-OBDII model.

Here's my problem. The check engine light comes on during the first few miles of the day. The vehicle speed and distance driven varies. But, it is usually after 10-40 mph and after 1-4 miles of driving. If I shut the car off and restart it, after the light comes on, the light will stay off, no matter how far I drive. Also, the light will stay off for the rest of the day. Even after hours of sitting in 50 degree weather, when the engine has had time to cool off.

The engine runs fine when the light comes on. As a part of maintenance, I recently replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, filters and o2 sensor. Also, I had an external oil leak at the lower intake manifold. So, I replaced the lower intake manifold gasket, Throttle body gasket, thermostat and fuel injector o-rings.

I'm a retired auto mechanic and I know my way around this 95 Buick. The one thing that I do lack, is a scanner that can read OBD I-OBDII codes on a transition model. The thought of paying a dealer to read the codes, just pains me. So, I'd like to know if anyone else has run into this situation, off a check engine light coming on only on the initial drive off the day.

Thanks in advance
Steve

brcidd
11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Autozone will read those codes for free

waff596
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I checked with a couple AutoZone store, a while back and spoke to the store managers. They are not able to check codes on 1995 transition models. They can only scan codes on OBDI and OBDII systems. Not on 1995 cars with mixed systems. (so called OBD1.5 )

Steve

maxwedge
11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Correct, pay to have it scanned then we and you can work from there.

HotZ28
11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Check with Advanced Auto to see if one of them still has an Actron CP9145 or CP9150 scanner for checking customer cars. Both will read OBD1 with the OBD11 cable (OBD1.5). The CP9150 comes with the OBD11 cable; however, the 9145 does not, but can be purchased separately. Advanced Auto is an Actron dealer and some of them still use the CP9150 for testing. These models are being phased out, so you can find a new one for about 150-bucks. (Check eBay) You will need one eventually! BTW, if you buy one, get the CP9150!

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6412/cp9145mm9.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!