Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1985 F-150 Van weak spark

randy mccurry
11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I have a 85 F-150 with a 302 and it's carburetad. I can't get it started i see a very weak spark does anybody have an idea why it won't start. Would appreciate very much on some advice.:banghead:

rhandwor
11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Buy a can of starter fluid give a couple of sprays as someone else is trying to start the truck. If it starts check the float level and accelerator pump.
Check the distributor cap and rotor they sometimes go bad. Ohm the plug wires sometimes they go bad. If you have a Haynes manual ohm the coil and check it. Otherwise use a temporary hot to the positive with it disconnected.
Use a DVOM and make sure the negative is getting appx. 12 volt.
Check the voltage to the coil positive with the key on it should be appx. 12 + volt.

discnik
11-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't forget the ignition control module. Not sure if those are mounted on the side of the distributor on that year.

rockwood84
11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
yep on the side of the distributor grey can't miss it. takes a special tool to get it off/on.check the wiring going to the coil in the valley right below the distributor for arcing [at night or dark place] -means a short.pick-up coil in the distributor could be bad .have to pull the distributor to change it.

Add your comment to this topic!