Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 LS Manual Transmission

4x4_fun
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I have a '02 giving me transmission trouble.(5r55n) The trany goes into "neutral" between 3rd and 4th gear. (maybe 2nd to 3rd) hard to tell... after accelorating i let off and feather the gas it will go into gear. i have had it to ford several times and they say they cant find the issue. throwing p0732 code...improper 1st gear ratio. but no error codes. I use identafix.com at work they point to internal issues...broken 4/3 valve spring??? not a trans. guy at all so please help!!! also how hard to convert to 6 sp manual.

shorod
11-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I am not a transmission guy either, but am curious what you mean by the comment "throwing p0732 code...but no error codes."

According to the factory service manual, P0732 is "2nd gear error" and is typically caused by a fault with "SSA [Shift Solenoid A], SSB, SSC or internal parts."

The solenoid pack is a pretty common fault with this transmission, especially if the special additive was not installed. There is a recall for certain vehicles that did not come from the factory with the additive. It appears that recall just applied to the 2004 and 2005 model years. Maybe someone here can clarify if it also applied to earlier model years. The trick with the recall was that addition of the additive would not undo sticking solenoids. So if the recall was performed on a car that had just started to have solenoid issues, it would not fix the issues or necessarily prevent them from getting worse. If the dealer performing the recall was not able to determine the solenoids were starting to fail, they may install the additive and close the recall but the solenoids could still be a problem.

-Rod

4x4_fun
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, i was hoping you would read my post. you seem to know your stuff!! By no error codes i meant that it was throwing a code but ive read on some posts that the dash display says 'E' when you put it in gear and mine is not doing that. Are the solenoids on the outside of the trans??? and how hard to change? Thanks again!!

shorod
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I just noticed that your subject claims you have a manual transmission, but the 5r55n and your description would indicate it's the automatic.

The solenoids don't require removal or significant disassembly of the transmission, but I don't know how difficult they are to replace. The only experience I have with them was getting the ones in my 2004 replaced under warranty. There are others on this forum that have tackled it though, try searching the forum for "shift solenoid" keywords.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!