Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 buick park ave passkey bypass

chickenstew69
11-10-2008, 06:01 AM
After reading all the post in this forum about vats issues,and having being left stranded repeatedly,im making sure that all i need to do is read the resitance from my ket, get a resitor w/ similar resitance.At that point do I wire the resitor inline on one wire or do i wire it across the two vats wires coming from the harness(does the power come from the switch or is it powered from the harness).Any suggestions would be appreciated.The park ave only has 217000 on it and i sure would like to get another 50000 out of it

brcidd
11-10-2008, 07:10 AM
In your car - it is really easy-- there are 14 resistances GM used that design- measure the one across the key- then solder in the matching resistor across the two white wires in the orange sheathing- be sure and cut the wires and solder across the car ends, not the steering column ends- I've done it several times- get tired of that pesky security light- and trying to clean the resistor pellet- sometimes the easiest way to measure it is to insert key and with the two white wires cut- measure the resistance across the steering column ends..-- do it several times to get the best consistent reading....

imidazol97
11-11-2008, 05:52 AM
At that point do I wire the resitor inline on one wire or do i wire it across the two vats wires coming from the harness(does the power come from the switch or is it powered from the harness).

The resistors go across the wires coming from the connector and the wiring that's in the dash. The wires going to the lock cylinder are passive.

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

This link may help with further reading. You don't need the exact resistance of your key chip. The 14 or so listed are the only ones used. Your combination of resistance needs to be within a small percent of the value--somewhere I have a list of the ranges the reader will accept. I also read that mostly the first several VATS resistances are used by GM rather than the whole group spread evenly by numbers.

chickenstew69
11-13-2008, 03:13 PM
thank for the feed back.the resistance 0n the key chip was 680,wen to radioshack ,got the proper resitorfound the leads,clipped wires then wedged resitor into the harness itself.car started immediately .with car running,took resitor out ,then shut off car. when i tried to restart, started the run for 5 seconds and die thing again. bent resitor into u shape, wedged it back in the connector, and taped it in there tight. have had no further problems w/security system.have fought other issues that were the result of vats sensor in ignition going bad .I just wish i had diagnosed this problem and bypassed the vats first, rather than the headaches I dealt with.

Add your comment to this topic!