Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Noise in suspension, driveline, or ??

Ralph50
11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
2000 Gmc Jimmy, 4x4, 75K, tires, wranglers 4 months old, agressive tread.

Hello, Please bear with me cause I have to explain in detail the noise. Im driving on the express-way 65mph, cruise set, I slow down to make a large loop to enter another expressway. Half way thru this loop I hear and feel a vibration. I pull over cause it sounds like a tree stick rubbing against the tire tread. Nothing there. As I start to move forward I hear clicking but not each wheel revolution but about 8 clicks to one wheel rotation. So I drive home, about 25 minutes on expressway. Stopping at the street lights I notice when moving very slow no noise but when I speed up the sound speeds up quick. Here is the funny part, I get home pull into the drive and notice the sound is gone, I back up go down the street no noise. The driveway has a small hump maybe 1 inch high. No kidding the sound disappeared as soon as I turned into the driveway. Drove for the last 2 days, nothing. While hearing the noise I turned the wheel left and right, no change. The noise starts about 5mph and the pitch got higher with higher speed.
Today I changed the front brakes pads, Nothing loose, 4 months ago replaced up & low ball joints both sides. I did not see any witness marks of anything rubbing under the wheel area. New frt wheel brg on left. I dont think it is the wheel bearing, too much noise going very slow. I also checked that the 4 w-drive worked, seemed ok. I have been working on cars for 30 years and this was odd. Im thinking it is something in the front wheel drive driveline. The sound seemed to come from the front.

Please give me your opinions.

Add your comment to this topic!