Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making an Aston-Martin AMR-1

DasWiesel
11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I was thinking of making an AMR-1. I know it wasnīt the most successful car, never won LeMans or something like that. But at i love Group C cars and hey, itīs an Aston, right? So who cares about won races..:grinno:

As Group C cars are all looking more or less similar, do you have any suggestions which existing kit might be the best base for a conversion?

jaykay640
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Huh....that's a long shot:-)
Whatever you start with this will be serious scratchbuilding. I would say, figure out a kit with the right wheels and maybe a V8 to start with but the bodywork is so different from anything else...
Finding a usable windscreen would be a big hit but if i were to do it i would go "all scratch" :-)

DasWiesel
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, the body is very unusual. I also had the idea of getting a kit with nearly matching windscreen. It should be a bit bigger than the one of the AMR to cut it down, but which one? Sauber C9, Porsche 962, or even one of the less famous Toyota and Nissan?

I collected tons of pictures, even of the engine, but a curbside model would be fine for me as well.

I hoped someone here who already had this conversion in mind, would share his thoughts.:icon16:

Just in case, someone doesnīt know the AMR-1:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/636/Aston-Martin-AMR1_4.jpg

AustinMartin
11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Sounds cool, may have to try my hand at scratch building.

DasWiesel
11-13-2008, 04:25 AM
A forum full of car-enthusiasts and thatīs the whole response?:sly:

Does someone at least have a blueprint? Wheelbase? Wheel sizes?

grundski
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Just from looking at the photo's of the AMR1, the rear end looks a lot like an XJR-14 (even though it's a 91 vs AMR 89) I also think the cockpit/engine cover look a lot like an XJR 8/9. Maybe this car was inspiring to Jaguar but that's the closest I can see in body style.

jaykay640
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
This might be of interst for you ( just in case you haven't already seen it ):

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aston.html

Ultimatecarpage gives some overall measurements:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/636/Aston-Martin-AMR1.html

And you might even try and get in contact with the owner. He should have some measurements. These guys are sometimes quite helpful...

http://www.groupcracing.com/cars/30

Anyway, if you google a bit you can find some interesting pictures. Should you decide to go forward with this project and make it full detail i can help with some detail shots.

DasWiesel
11-14-2008, 08:27 AM
@grundski
Yes, i agree! Jaguar would be a close match. I still think the wind-screen is the main thing. The one of the Sauber C9 seems to be much too small, Porsche 956/962 isnīt steep enough.
Tamiyaīs Nissan R89C kit seems to be a good choice for me, too. The front end looks kind of familiar, V8 engine is already included and the windscreen seems to be big enough to cut it to size.

@jaykay
Yes, i know those links, but i have to admit, i never thought of getting in touch with the owner. Not a bad idea at all!

Believe me, i spend hours on googling about the AMR1, but iīm always interested in detail shots! :evillol:
Maybe we should change what we have...

grundski
11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I can add to both your stashes of photo's Das Wiesel and JayKay. I shot (AMR 1 2 or 3 not sure) At Watkins Glen here in the states back in 2004 at a vintage race. I was in the paddock area and shot it without body panels from front to rear. I'll have to dig them up.

disomma
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
i see a little Mazda 787 in that pic.

voyageur
11-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Quite an ambitious project! I wish you good luck with it. Make sure you have it casted in resin once done :naughty:

I think could come quite close by mixing and matching different group C cars.
Start with a chassis that has the correct wheelbase and track width and you should be off to a good start. If you can source a (larger than 1:24!) model you could send it to me. I could scan it and you could have a 3d printing company "print" it for you. Otherwise you might want to look if you can find 3d data on the web and have that printed....

However, I guess you're looking for the classic coach-building approach...

AustinMartin
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Quite an ambitious project! I wish you good luck with it. Make sure you have it casted in resin once done...

Yes!!!

DasWiesel
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Make sure you have it casted in resin once done
:lol: Havenīt even started with the driverīs seat and you already think of casting?

Start with a chassis that has the correct wheelbase and track width and you should be off to a good start.
Well, uhm, thatīs exactly the missing information this thread is about. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!