Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

06 Back up alert Q

The Right Formula
11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Afternoon folks:) First time posting in the Chevy area, but if it's anything like the rest of AF, I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for.

I have a company-owned van through LeasePlan. It has a back-up alert while in Reverse. I know some people in the company I work for have a toggle switch that kills the alert, but they received the vans after they had been installed so couldn't offer any input. I personally don't mind the sound, but there are times when I leave early in the morning (before 6:00 sometimes) and return late at night (sometimes after 9:00), so my main reason for installing a kill switch would be for the neighbor's benefit. I've already received permission from the both the company and LeasePlan to install one, but I'm not sure what would be the best way.

Is this something that *needs* to be done at a dealership or is it a simple splice two wires and install a toggle switch in the dash?

MT-2500
11-11-2008, 08:54 AM
They are a safety feather.
May be illegal to disable them.
Most have a built in shut off for pulling trailer.
Could be emg brake on a little or other.
Study your owners manual or a repair manual real close.

The Right Formula
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Egads, forgot I posted this. Thanks, MT - I'll check the owner's manual again. Not sure about it being illegal - I know others have done it and vision is good with the side and rear view mirrors. I'll check with the dealership and see if it's something they can do.

MT-2500
12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Disabling any saftey feature is illegal.
Your rear view mirrors will not show a 2-3 year old kid sitting on a toy right behind a rear wheel or bumper.
Let us know what the dealer says.
People that pull trailers can tell you how to get them off when they are towing.
Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!