Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Half shaft bearing

05blkequinox
11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I was hoping to get some help. I replaced the left wheel hub. Thinking it was a bad hub becouse I had that type of sound and when turning or slight jerk to the left it would get quite. After getting all back together test driving it the sound is still there. would a bad axle bearing produce the same sound and imitate a bad hub? And is the bearing part of the half shaft assembly? I did notice when I was turning hub to line up the holes so I could tighten the hub I did hear a light howl/hum ..Any help would be great....

Mike

Classicrocjunkie
11-07-2008, 10:15 PM
inspect the boot for a tear or rip which would have let water/moisture/ foreign objects in there. Bad CV shaft joints make a clicking noise. It is possible tho.

05blkequinox
11-08-2008, 10:05 AM
This sounds just like a bad hub..(wheel bearing assem.)....I have already changed the hub and the noice is still there. Is there a axle bearing on front wheel drive cars if so is it? does it sit nin/flush with tranny or is it like part of the axle???

05blkequinox
11-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I didn't see any tears just went out and looked the boot looks okay.....What about this howl nois I here after replacing hub and still having car up on the stands I would turn hub to access the hub bolt to tighten up every time I would turn I could here a ver low howl....sorta like when you rub your finger around the rime a of a glass cup...

J-Ri
11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Put the car on jack stands and have someone inside the car while you listen from underneath. Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and see where the noise is coming from. Also, torque the big nut on the end of the halfshaft to the correct torque. Too loose or too tight can ruin the new bearing.

Classicrocjunkie
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
185 ft/lbs goes on the 30mm nut.

05blkequinox
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Okay just got in from messing with the car...I put it up on stands and had the tires off(both sides). put the car in drive and had my son give a little gas it kinda of hard to hear with the engine noise sounds like the sound is comeing from the side with the new hub. When the car is at idle and axels spinning The sound I can here is like.......um........like those balls(big marbles) people twirl around in there hands to relax/relief stress. That sound they make when they hit but speed it up about 15 times the sound changes slightly when you turn the wheel not much but slightly and it sounds like it coming from right where axle connects to tranny?????boots are fine on both sides any ideas is there bearings concealed at the end of the shaft or maybe right in side the tranny???? NOTE car does pull to the left both tires have been replaced becouse belts were showing threw I think last person maybe just rotedt bad tire to other side and both tire where bad by the time I noticed it....just want to add that....Any help would be much apriciated..

Classicrocjunkie
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Should have kept the wheels on, return that bearing and ask for a new one.

J-Ri
11-16-2008, 01:14 PM
any ideas is there bearings concealed at the end of the shaft or maybe right in side the tranny?

The bearings are inside the transaxle case. Is the fluid full and clean? Had you torqued the big nut to 185ft/lbs?

05blkequinox
11-17-2008, 04:32 AM
I did tourqe it to spec. The noise is still there? Could it be the right side? I jacked up and held the wheel at 6&12 did get a little play but the noise gets quite if I turn left and stays noisy when im stright and turning right. I was thinkiing of replacing the whole half shaft. I do see some balls and the track they ride in ..I think it the CV housing at the end of the axle...(Well I see them in the book) BUt may be I should Change the right side bearing...How often would those bearing in the transfer case go bad????Other then this noise the car drives and shifts fine...

J-Ri
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I did tourqe it to spec. The noise is still there? Could it be the right side? I jacked up and held the wheel at 6&12 did get a little play but the noise gets quite if I turn left and stays noisy when im stright and turning right. I was thinkiing of replacing the whole half shaft. I do see some balls and the track they ride in ..I think it the CV housing at the end of the axle...(Well I see them in the book) BUt may be I should Change the right side bearing...How often would those bearing in the transfer case go bad????Other then this noise the car drives and shifts fine...

Sometimes the wheel bearing will make noise when weight is removed from it (inside of the turn), although it is very rare. I've done hundreds (possibly thousands) of wheel bearings and only seen reduced weight cause it once, and it was on a big old truck.

The bearings in the transaxle (transfer case is 4x4 truck) usually don't go out, the only one I've ever seen was in one that had horribly neglected transmission fluid... and I noticed you didn't answer that when I asked about yours...

Add your comment to this topic!