Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 lincoln ls v6 missfire

hstl365
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
i have a 2000 lincoln ls v6 and i have recently changed the valve cover gaskets,all spark plugs and just 3 of the coils located on the passenger side.the missfire still occurs and i dont know which route to take...i have read that it could be the coils or a jet pump. any suggestions would really help,and if anyone knows where the jet pump is located i would really appreciate your advise. thanks in advance

shorod
11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Did you replace the valve cover gaskets on the passenger side as well? If so, why did you chose to not replace the coils on the passenger side since that's the difficult side to do? What code do you have, and which cylinder(s) does the code(s) point to?

-Rod

Quik_LS
11-09-2008, 06:35 AM
the LS uses two fuel tanks - one on each side of the car. The driver's side has the fuel pump in it, while the passenger's side has the jet pump in it. the jey pump is not a real 'pump' but an elaborate pick that balances the fuel level between the two tanks. there is only one line running up to the engine - and it's off the one fuel pump.

so.. it's likely not the jet pump. To understand if it's a fuel issue, you can measure fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the driver's side fuel rail. Like most modern Fords - the LS is expecting 40 psi at the injector nozzle - meaning at idle you are creating about 18hg of vacuum (or ~ -10psi of vacuum) so you should read about 30psi on the rail.

it's much more likely a coil or bad PCV hose on the V6.

hstl365
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
thank u shorod for your advice. i did change all gaskets, and the coils on the passenger side.I even changed the spark plugs to bosch platinum and now i read those dont work well with this car. as far as codes i had a mechanic hook it up to a scanner when i 1st had the prob and it didnt show any codes. i notice that it only does it after i been driving the car for a few miles or so. i have no check engine light on. i have 2 more coils to switch out.if u have any more advise for me i would appreciate it. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!