Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check engine light and Emissions

jag1200r
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I have stated on here before that my check engine light will come on if you accelerate to 55mph and stay at a steady cruise for at least 3-5 miles. When you come to a stop the light will go out. Get on the gas again and it comes back on. Drive around town all day and it never comes on. I had a local shop check the light and it shows no code? Any thoughts

Secondly in the begining I smelled a raw gas smell. That has gone away since simply tightening a cap. But after crusing for a while you can park and the truck smells like emissions. A very strong smell that will last for a few hours. Not a fresh gas smell but a strong emissions smell coming from under the hood. While the truck is running you can smell it with the windows down. But then again this truck runs great. I have already heard EGR check valve, catalytic convertor, and exhaust leak. Which one seems the most correct or any new problems that I haven't mentioned that could cause this problem. Oh yeah it is a 95.5 3.2L.

okmech1
11-11-2008, 05:46 PM
2 thoughts:

1) make sure the CEL light illuminates and stays on when you put the ignition in 'on' but do not crank the engine (make sure it's working at least somewhat normal)

2) you might need to have a real-time scan done to see what is happening at time the light illuminates. It should store a code period, OBD 1 or 2, but I think there are some postings about wierd things on a 95.5.

jag1200r
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks. Yes it SHOULD store a code. So either there is something weird going on here or the mechanic lied to me. But it is the strangest thing I have ever seen. CEL comes on at night, at cruise, 55 mphs. All of the time everytime.

okmech1
11-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Do you know if it's OBD 1 or 2? Is it possible the mechanic you brought it to has a scanner that can't access events without the CEL illuminated?

jag1200r
11-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I do not know. I guess its possible.

Add your comment to this topic!