Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold weather stalls and no starts with my 96

Raymond4646
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
96 Achieva Sl 2.4 The car will shut off while driving or wont start at times, just cranks. This only happens durning the winter or cold months in PA. Every single time it stalls or does not start the Amber gear selector indicator will not illuminate. Once illuminated the vehicle will start. I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition switch, coils, coil pack housing, plugs, ignition control module, PCM, new gauge cluster, battery, cleaned upgraded ground wire. I am at a loss as to why this car only dies in the cold months. It will run all summer long no problem. Unrelated the transmission is starting to shift hard within the last year. All fulids have been changed per schedule. There is only 68K on the vehicle. Anyone have any info? Thank you

xeroinfinity
11-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Sounds like your injectors are freezing up a little. Could be clogged and with excess moisture they crap out.

Might try running some injector cleaner thru, and some gas dryer might not hurt during the cold months.

Raymond4646
11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
96 Achieva Sl 2.4 The car will shut off while driving or wont start at times, just cranks. This only happens durning the winter or cold months in PA. Every single time it stalls or does not start the Amber gear selector indicator will not illuminate. Once illuminated the vehicle will start. I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition switch, coils, coil pack housing, plugs, ignition control module, PCM, new gauge cluster, battery, cleaned upgraded ground wire. I am at a loss as to why this car only dies in the cold months. It will run all summer long no problem. Unrelated the transmission is starting to shift hard within the last year. All fulids have been changed per schedule. There is only 68K on the vehicle. Anyone have any info? Thank you
Update, I replaced the TPS(throttle Position Sensor) and the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Both can cause the car to stall. Actually the Coolant Sensor is often called a Master Sensor as many others get info from it. So far so good.
xeroinfinity Thanks for the tip. I have recently ran a complete system cleaner thru the injection system and Sea Foam as well.

Add your comment to this topic!