Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermittent Fuel Pump

dmcollins57
11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Im having a proplem with the fuel pump on my mitsubishi van. The problem is when i go to start the vehicle it doesnt turn over, just cranks and when checking for fuel pressure there is none. When I add batter voltage to the fuel pump test terminal it doesn't turn on either. But when i go under the vehicle and hit the fuel tank with my hand it then turns on and I am able to start the van. But the thing is onces the van is running the fuel pump never quites. There is no loss of power or anything, only to when i turn off the van and attempt to restart it again after a while, the fuel pump doesnt work.

I originally thought that maybe there was a loose connection and that is why it would work when I'd hit the fuel tank but that doesnt explain why it wouldn't go out while im driving or hit a bump. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

CoolasIce
11-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know why it starts when you hit the tank, but most cars have a fuel pump relay to send power to the pump. I'd replace it since it's easy to do.

mxmikie
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
sounds like the pump has 200,000 miles on it replace the pump

brcidd
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
A fuel pump is a DC electric motor with brushes- it is like a blower motor- once they wear out, this is the exact failure mode- inability to start- but they will continue to run once "jarred" into action. Your fuel pump is on its last leg- so replace it-- I find that about half of those I test- will "jump" into action- heck I was a hero at McDonalds the other day- a guy with a pick-up- kept grinding away on his starter- I stepped over- whacked the bottom of his fuel tank- and it started- I told him to go get a new fuel pump- his is worn out. I knew a guy who drove his truck 6 more months this way- whacked his tank whenever it would not start- he finally let me change the pump- when he got the money.

katreen87
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey even i have a similar problem with my car i am not sure what should i do. this weekend i take it to the technician.

Add your comment to this topic!