Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emergency!!! Please help, rear brakes on a G6

2001 GT Coupe
11-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I usually don't have a problem with brakes as I have done them on a number of different cars but on my wifes 2006 G6, I am at a standstill. Let's not even consider the location of the caliper bolts in relation to the suspension hardware or the springs :shakehead but now, I cannot get the piston all the way back into the cylinder:banghead: . I rotated it in but further rotation still leaves it out about an 8th of an inch and I cannot get the pads over a new rotor which is also being replaced. I NEED HELP! My wife needs her car for work and I need to get this done tonight ASAP! Please, I need somebodies advice here.

Hungrycat7
11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Had the same problem with my Grand Am. . . Turned out there was some debris built up behind the piston. I bought a new one and it was good as new! Don't know what else would cause this.

2001 GT Coupe
11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. Well I couldn't get it done last night so we worked things out to get around today then after work I looked into it further. Obvious problems right away that my frustrated mind could not rap around last night. Apparently the rotor I was trying to put on was a front rotor misplaced into a rear rotor box. If only I had looked at the two sooner. The rear rotors are solid and about a 1/2" in thickness while front ones tend to be vented and over twice that thickness. So I took it back to Kragens, got the right one and wouldn't you know it, the piston was seated perfectly and after a little wrestling with the pads again, I got both sides done. I took it out and tested it and parked on an incline and set the e brake, damn I could park the car on a wall:rofl:! I'm happy, the wife is very happy, and now I can rest. Sometimes it pays to just leave it alone for awhile until the frustration's gone, then the obvious becomes so.

Add your comment to this topic!