Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Graphic Novel drawing request will pay $

davem_f1
11-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Gang,
My name is Dave and I have written a children's book as a hobby, and will be self publishing it (this is my second one). I'm looking for someone to help illustrate it. I'd like to make it a graphic novel type of book, for kids in the 7-8 yr old range. It is similar to Pixar's "Cars", with a little bit more of an edge to it. I am very flexible as to the final outcome. Probably 20 pages or so, with, you guessed it, "tooned" cars as the main characters.

I don't have a huge budget for this, as I will be paying out of pocket, but do have some $ for it. I was wondering if some of you may have some interest in tackling this project? If not, perhaps you could suggest someone?

Feel free to pm me for more info.

thanks a lot!!
-Dave.

davem_f1
11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Rad the race car.
Extreme Drift Edition
copyright Dave Morrill

There was a loud BANG as the unlimited off road racing truck bottoms out it's suspension over the start finish jump. We see the axles and suspension working underneath the truck from a camera mounted under the car. The engine snarls as it peggs the rev limiter and the straining tires kick up huge clods of dirt. After a second or two a clod of dirt covers the camera which blacks out and our view changes to a bird’s eye view of the truck as it blazes around the track. The radio crackles as Charger bangs another gear and hears the familiar voice of his crew chief Spanner, “Charger, better get a move on, two laps to go!”

“Why, I'm way in the lead, aren't I?” asks Charger..

“Well, Um, yea you are, but your wife called, it's time...” replies Spanner.

Charger leans forward and accelerates even harder. The engine howls to an even more feverish pitch as the truck leaps forward. He pitches through a corner and his tires catch an edge, tipping the truck up on its outside wheels. The crowd roars as everyone points, camera flashes going off everywhere in the huge indoor stadium. Charger corrects at the last second and Mrs. Towors it again, sweeping a graceful arc through the corner as he brings it back down on all four tires.

“Careful, don't blow it, we need this win to qualify for the championship, one lap to go!” squawks Spanner over the radio. “I know, I know, I've got this...” Charger says under his breath, wondering if he will make it to the hospital in time. He catches a look in his rear view mirror, and sees Hammer has caught him. There is a CRASH as Hammer purposely smashes into Charger's back end. “Ouch, he did that on purpose!”, Charger growls to himself as his truck veers out of the racing line and Hammer passes him.

“Um, Charger, Hammer caught up to you,” Spanner warns over the radio. “Hmmph, thanks for the heads up,” Charger says to himself again, ignoring the reply button on the radio. He cuts below Hammer and pulls beside him cleanly on the inside of the last corner, getting a blast of mud and exhaust smoke in his face from Hammer's truck as he ducks in. They both accelerate at the same time, engines shrieking, with Charger completing the pass in mid air over the start finish line.

The crowd roars in unison as Charger crosses his wheels in mid air over the jump, showboating. “Great finish Charger, that's why your number one!” Spanner yells over the radio. “Thanks Spanner, I gotta go, see you later,” Charger replies as he crashes through the track barrier, taking a shortcut towards the gaping maw of the stadium exit. He locks up the brakes just as he is almost out of the stadium and momentarily stops. His tires smoke as he spins them while backing up at full speed to the podium. ZIP! He reaches out and grabs the first place trophy from the announcer and waves it to the crowd. They roar even louder in response and he has to shade his eyes against all the camera flashes. Once again the unlimited truck's engine screams and smoke belches from the tires as Charger crashes through the exit, heading to the hospital.

He blasts into the entrance of the hospital, again up on two wheels as he peels around the entrance barrier, skidding with style. He sees the proud doctor holding up the door as his wife, Cam, exits the hospital with little Rad in tow. “Well, you always make an entrance, don't you Charger? I hope that race was worth missing the birth of your son.” Charger looks down sheepishly at the ground in front of him, out of breath. “Do you want to see him?” Cam asks.

She pulls forward and Charger looks into the mini car hauler. He sees a tiny bright blue sports car with a too big front spoiler, too small back wing, and tires that are low and way too wide sticking out from under the flared fenders. It has two faint white stripes going up the middle of his whole length, he’s obviously a baby Dodge Viper. Rad's eyes are closed and he's sleeping soundly. “Isn't he just the cutest?” coos Cam, looking back in her rear view mirrors. There's a long pause as Charger takes it in. “But he's not a truck,” replies Charger angrily. “How could you do this to me? You’re a full sized custom SUV and I'm an unlimited racing truck. How did we end up with this little pipsqueak car? He should be a truck!”

Cam slowly pulls away with Rad in tow. “I think he's beautiful,” she replies softly. Charger looks from Cam to the hospital, where the staff all look at him angrily and turn their backs on him. Charger looks bewildered as a big piece of mud slides off of his roof onto his face. He ignores it, droops and slowly follows her home, leaving mud caked tracks in his path the whole way.

knightvision
11-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I nominate Blip and Roboduck... what a chance!

nicecar
11-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Man i would do it but i'm not the best tooner on here by far, i really really need some money though.

I'll look over it tomorrow and get back to you.

PDQ VW
11-08-2008, 11:21 PM
And the moral of the story is??????????????????????

What make is the mailcar?

model_citizen
11-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a couple of criticisms. First of all, the word "it's" in the first paragraph does not need an apostrophe. This indicates "it is." In possession, "its" is a personal possessive pronoun. Likewise, in dialogue, each time the speaker changes, a new paragraph is needed, whether it's one line or many. Just didn't want to steer the kids wrong.

Now for the good stuff, are you looking for backgrounds and landscapes as well?

Add your comment to this topic!