Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Toyota corolla 2006 key Programing

adeiza
11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Please guys I am a new member and need your help badly, my Toyota corolla 2006 suddenly stops recognizing my master key, when i put in my key the security lights continues to flash, after several attempts of starting the car will start and after a couple of hours, same thing will happen again. please how do i reprogram the master key of reset my immobilizer. thank you

roadrunner2
11-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Please guys I am a new member and need your help badly, my Toyota corolla 2006 suddenly stops recognizing my master key, when i put in my key the security lights continues to flash, after several attempts of starting the car will start and after a couple of hours, same thing will happen again. please how do i reprogram the master key of reset my immobilizer. thank you

The chip in the key may be damaged or the receiver in the column isn't recognising the key.

Your owners manual should tell you how to reprogram it.

Some makes require the dealer to reprogram the security system as there are radio frequencies to apply. $$$

jdmccright
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
You should be within the warranty period, so have the dealer look at it first. But they may have to keep the car for a few days to try to reproduce the problem.

Some more info would help...

Do the lights flash as soon as you unlock the door? Do you use a remote fob or the key itself?

It could be as simple as a dead fob battery, but any extra clues would be great.

adeiza
11-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys for your reply, I bought the car used from a friend, it only came with one master key, I use the key when opening the door, the car started once again yesterday but this morning has refused to start again. any idea on how to reprogram the key? i have a new transponder key which i suppose can be a spare.

jdmccright
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I would call the dealer and give them the car's VIN number. Ask if the car came equipped with remote-operated locks (some base models may not have). If it did, you should ask your freind where the remotes are. If not, then I think the dealer is best equipped to handle this problem...not for the do-it-yourselfer. If there is a malfunction in the ignition receiver, the dealer will be able to reprogram the locks with the new keys. I know you're trying to avoid a hefty repair bill, but I think at least some explanation from your friend is in order on why only one key was given.

adeiza
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
here is the update to my problem...for the whole of today, the car has been starting, finally i check it with a scanner and it says "Error Code B2796 Immo no communication with ECU. now its no longer starting please i need help, i am having sleepless night. thank you

adeiza
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Please is there a way to disable the entire immobilizer system? its too problematic

jdmccright
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry that you're having such problems with your new car. As I have said before, and from the lack of response of others, your request is not a common one. I'm wondering whether it is a factory-, dealer-installed or aftermarket system. It could be as simple as a loose wire or faulty ignition switch. But if it is factory-installed, there should have been a remote fob as well since that option requires the power package. Again, only a dealer can diagnose this. Off the cuff, it sounds like it is running in valet mode because there is no fob for it.

Your friend, who has more experience with your car, ought to have some insight on its quirks or history on it.

There are usually certain sensors that are monitored by the security system to ensure that whomever is trying to start the car is the rightful owner. The immobilizer is a part of the vehicle's security system and as such it should be serviced by the dealer. I don't mean to imply anything, but even if I did know how to do so, I would not divulge such information in here if there was a chance for it to be used by more nefarious individuals. Sorry. Please, take it to the dealer.

adeiza
11-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks jdmccright, i understand what you have done and thanks for the effort in trying to assist me, this is to inform you all that i have finally solved my problem. Here is the solution.

1. The error code means no communication btw the ring coil attached to the ignition and the ECU, Immobilizer.
2. I opened up the ignition and located the ring with four wires and traces it to a black box labeled "ECU IMMOBILIZER" i found out that the grey wire was not connecting propeperly, i used another another wire to connect from the box directly to the ring and now everything is ok.

thanks once again everybody. i could post pictures if requested.

thank you.

I seem to have another problem though, i have a new aftermarket remote, i tried the procedures i saw on this forum the door unlocks once to alert me its been done correctly but the remote does not work. any solution to that.

jdmccright
11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm glad to hear you found an inexpensive solution to the problem. Posting pics would be helpful in case this problem becomes more widespread. Congrats!

As far as getting the new remote programmed, I've only found this link for 2003 model year Corollas. It may or may not work:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071217195114AATVlHi

Another to explain there's a difference between registering a key and the remote with the car system:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69693

Hate coming up with blanks but this knowledge is a poker hand usually kept close to Toyota's chest. Hope this helps & good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!