Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Veilside 300ZX kit problem

lingeringsoul
11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Hello everyone, long time lurker and first (or close to) time poster. I bought myself a veilside C1 300ZX and was just thinking about how I should go about building it. The kit itself is somewhat annoying because apart from the wrong wheel (Veilside Baraccat instead of the Veilside Andrew rims) the kit also had a set of really chunky looking body kit that didn't fit. They are not like the plastic ones so I'm assuming that's the resin kit.

So after cutting away the front and rear bumper from the original shell to fit the new veilside items, I found that they seem to be a size too small. Now I don't know what to do!!!

Do I try to glue the thing on and use putty to shape it or, do I get a sheet of styrene and blow dryer and try to melt the extra 2-3 mm thick into a new bumper which should fit perfectly. The only problem with that method is that would I damage the shape of the rein bumper before the styrene sheet melts?

Anyone got any suggestions? The kit itself is rare enough as it is, as people seem to be hving trouble getting them. I don't want to ruin it because I have no way of getting another.

tuned.by.twenty
11-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Can we see some pictures? I have an idea, but I'd have to see the fit of the bumper.

drunken monkey
11-01-2008, 11:04 AM
too small how?
not wide enough due to resin shrinkage?
How about you cut the resin bumper, in half vertically, then add some extra filler of some sort to make it wider?

a picture really does do more than words here.

lingeringsoul
11-01-2008, 04:51 PM
ok i'll take some photos after work.

tuned.by.twenty
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
too small how?
not wide enough due to resin shrinkage?
How about you cut the resin bumper, in half vertically, then add some extra filler of some sort to make it wider?

a picture really does do more than words here.
That's what I was thinking.

MidMazar
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/midmazar/100_0582.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/midmazar/100_0584-1.jpg

If you look closley at the front bumper you can see that i had to cut each bodypart (Resin) in half and add about 2to4mm of styrene to make them fit. Then smooth it out with putty. Also don't forget to use a sealer before primer as the styrene and putty will show through the paint like in my build. Let me know if you need any more help. I had some progress pics, but they are on my old harddrive which i don't know where it is now.

leokc_ng
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Building the same kit at this moment, and I have cut the rear bumper in half to fix the problem

lingeringsoul
11-03-2008, 11:21 PM
thanks for the help guys, I was about to take some phtos, but camera went dead.

What's a sealer?? I've never heard of it. From the sound of things, I'm in for a long ride with this kit. Should be worth the trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!