Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Issue with overheating

DigiDestine7
10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Alright, first off, I had a problem with overheating about 3 weeks ago and looked to see that my upper radiator hose was hitting a screw by the battery so it burnt through and then shot coolant all over. I then replaced the hose and it was fine for about a week.

Then I had it overheat again and I figured it was the thermostat acting up so I replaced it. The next day still overheated so had a mechanic look at it and the thermostat I put in wasnt opening correctly so he replaced it again and then flushed system. Then called me cause the temp was still going to 260 (red bar). He said it was prolly the temp sensor and then replaced that. It was fine for 3 days and overheated according to the guage. So he looked at it again and used a laser temp reader and saw the temp was 109 by the lower radiator hose and past the thermostat was 197 so he then again replaced the thermostat and it was fine until today. I have it going back to the 260 mark on the guage.

I've had the hoses checked, they have no leaks and none of them are clogged. I had the water pump replaced about 3 months ago for a crack and leaked. I replaced hoses and bleed system of air. Had the temp sensor changed and the thermostat 3 times.

When it hit 260 I still drove it for about 10 mins, then pulled to the side of the road to look under the hood and there was no smoke or any weird smells and the engine wasn't that hot. The fan kicks in all the time cause I hear and see it working.

What is causing the gauge to go crazy? Is there a fuse to check or a recall?

Schrade
11-01-2008, 09:22 PM
He said it was prolly the temp sensor

When they say that, tell them to call you back when they know for sure :headshake . What a 'tard. http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/tard.gif

Welcome to the boards there!

Did he tell you what the gauge said, when he got a laser read of 197??? If he didn't tell you, call him and ask him what the temp gauge said when the laser said 197.

If he says that the gauge said 197 also, ask him why he replaced the thermostat again. That would make NO sense.

If he says that the gauge said 260 (when the laser said 197), ask him why he replaced the thermostat again. That would NOT make any sense either.

Get as much $ back from him as you can. With that S, buy a $20 laser temp reader (actually called IR readers). Then hit the pipes with the reader yourself as the gauge climbs (like the 'tard mechanic should have done).

post back...

DigiDestine7
11-02-2008, 01:57 AM
My bad, sorry for not making this clear enough. The mechanic is a close friend and usually does fine work with cars. It's just that this cavalier is a piece o sh*t and everything that can go wrong has so far.

The first time it overheated was cause the hose had a burn hole through it so I replaced it myself, and then 3 days later it overheated again. So I thought it was the thermostat so I picked one up from PepBoys and had him install it.

After that it still overheated and I brought it back and told him that the gauge was up to 260 and he used the temp laser, I was watching him when this happened, and before the thermostat on the lower radiator hose it read 109 and past the thermostat it read 197 and the car was on more then 30 mins so he said he would replace it again. This was of no charge for the new thermostat, but he told me after that it was still acting up and said the temp sensor was prolly the issue since everything was reading correct with temp laser. So I said sure since it only cost me $20 and he checked the hoses for clogs and leaks and flushed the system.

But then again 3 days later it began to overheat and didnt move from 260 even with the fan on and I took it back and he temp laser it again and sure enough that thermostat went wacky. So he did it again, and we tested this new thermostat in boiling water to make sure it opened and closed correctly. Now it's still being a piece o sh*t and we don't understand why. I suggested maybe a heater core is obstructed or something but he said highly unlikely.

That is why I'm asking here, maybe there is something else we are missing that is very common or overlooked?! I just freak everytime I see that damn temp gauge go to 260 cause then my Check Gauge light comes on. Any suggestions?

Schrade
11-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I was watching him when this happened, and before the thermostat on the lower radiator hose it read 109 and past the thermostat it read 197 and the car was on more then 30 mins so he said he would replace it again.

You're not seein' my question, or you are seein the question, and you're not answerin' it:

What did the dashboard temperature gauge say, when the laser reader read 197?

What we are trying to find out is, when the gauge says 260, is the coolant temp ACTUALLY 260??? Or is it closer to 197???

Are you understanding the question?

DigiDestine7
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
You're not seein' my question, or you are seein the question, and you're not answerin' it:

What did the dashboard temperature gauge say, when the laser reader read 197?

What we are trying to find out is, when the gauge says 260, is the coolant temp ACTUALLY 260??? Or is it closer to 197???

Are you understanding the question?

Dash temp read 260 and when we read with laser it was 197 and still gauge at 260

Slated4Greatness
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Dash temp read 260 and when we read with laser it was 197 and still gauge at 260

Then it's just a gauge malfunction not a problem with the engine over heating. The temp on the stat should be 195.. If it's not over heating then there is not a problem with anything other than the gauge.

If it is not the gauge and is a over heating issue then I would suspect the head gasket was hurt when you initially over heated the engine with the hole in the radiator hose.

Joe Wilson
11-30-2008, 09:18 AM
It sounds like maybe you didn't get all the air bled out of your system. Sometimes it takes more than once to get it all out.

Mutsky
11-30-2008, 07:38 PM
My experience with over heating was on a 99 F-150....Never had any probs until one day the temp guage pegs....luckily I limped home by running the heater! Did most of the things you did...Changed the thermostat, flushed the coolant, cleaned the bugs & dirt out the radiator....put it all back together and went out on the road....temp guage pegs out again!!! Felt the radiator...only the top three or so of the tubes were hot..the rest of the radiator was cold...hhhmmmmm.... Turns out all but the three or so top tubes of the radiator were plugged solid so I only had ~ 5% of the radiator to cool the engine.....Replaced the radiator and the problem hasn't reappeared even in the hottest of summer....and that was three years ago. I would bet a new radiator will solve your problem. I bought mine on E-bay for ~ $125.00.

Markgc
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
If it overheats it will blow the water out of the radiator as the coolant boils. That first day when the gauge pegged and when you limped home did you have to replace the water in the radiator. If the heater was still working then I doubt if the engine actually overheated becasue when you loose all the coolant the heater stops working.

As the other writer says it is most likely a gauge that is reading too high. Is you fuel gauge reading high as well?

Add your comment to this topic!