Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bashed up Baby

lewkskywalker
03-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Two mondays ago I bought a 1996 Acura Integra Special Edition. Last wednesday I was driving down a psuedo-highway. Conditions we're shitty to say the least. The road curved and I slid into a median/curb. I got out of the car to inspect it and noticed no visable damage until I came to the front passenger tire which had its rotor completely sheared in half. I had it towed to the dealership where I had purchesed it and they fixed the rotor but said they'd have to send it to a collision shop because they feared that the frame/chassis was "bent." Any ideas as to what to do now? Any and all imput is greatly appreciated.

PilotMojo
03-17-2003, 02:41 PM
That sux

I got my car bashed in a few weeks ago too.

lewkskywalker
03-17-2003, 02:56 PM
what are my options? What can I do? Do I make an insurance claim or do I just pay it out of pocket? Im truely fed up with this... I just bought the car, I loved it, and now its "gone."

PilotMojo
03-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Why wouldnt you file a claim...

Did you file a police report when you got into your "accident"??

If you didnt... expect a insurance hike when you file the claim thru the insurance...

Be smart go thru insurance... it would be to much I think.

lewkskywalker
03-17-2003, 03:36 PM
the police didnt file a report. If I make a claim I can definately expect a huge insurance increase. If I fix it on my own, no one will even know.

PilotMojo
03-17-2003, 03:54 PM
except when they run CarFax....

But do whatcha gotta do man. Good luck.

lewkskywalker
03-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Im not concerened with selling it. Im concerned with having a reliable car to drive, maintain, and have a little fun with.

gnushit
03-17-2003, 10:57 PM
if the total repair cost is over $2,000, then i would file the claim. as for the bent frame, don't worry about it. a lot of salvaged cars have bent frames and they're still rolling around just fine. after you get your car back, i would get a second opinion. if you file the claim, an insurance person will inspect it for you.

my car slipped about a month ago also (still haven't gotten my car back), and the total cost is well over $2,000, so i claimed it. they're going to cover the right side of the car but not the left. what's up with that? i think the repair shop guy told him that hitting the right side shouldn't have affected the left side, that's why they're not covering it. the repair shop wants $1,300 to fix the right side. they can kiss my ass, i'm never going back there again.

does anyone know where i can get a left arm and joints for 94+ integra for cheap?

gnushit
03-17-2003, 11:06 PM
here's the damages

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/967817sideview.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/699016closerupfrontview.jpg

PilotMojo
03-18-2003, 09:54 AM
See im in the same problem

cuz a friend of mine backed into me at a bowling alley... but anyways
I saved ass and didnt file a police report and didnt tell his parents

So he's giving me the money to pay for hte deductible and then some...

So im not sure... Ive called some places to get an estimate... but im not sure how to do this yet....

That CV boot/joint... is tore the f--k up...it loooks like it could've been alot worse man... ;)

lewkskywalker
03-18-2003, 06:51 PM
I drove the car from the collision shop over to an enterprise to have it inspected for the insurance. Believe it or not, the inusrance guy found "no visable defects or damages." But, I definately noticed a drastic pull to the right and the steering wheel shook slighly as I drove. Also, my dad said that from his car which was following me, he saw my wheel whobbling dramatically. How can I not worry about the frame? If it does have significant damage, wont that affect performance, not to mention daily driving? I highly appreciate all the comments, advice, and feedback that you guys have been submitting... thanks!

gnushit
03-19-2003, 01:38 AM
it might just need an alignment. try another body shop, and make sure the rims are still good.

gnushit
03-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by PilotMojo
See im in the same problem

cuz a friend of mine backed into me at a bowling alley... but anyways
I saved ass and didnt file a police report and didnt tell his parents

So he's giving me the money to pay for hte deductible and then some...

So im not sure... Ive called some places to get an estimate... but im not sure how to do this yet....

That CV boot/joint... is tore the f--k up...it loooks like it could've been alot worse man... ;)

yeah his ass better pay :mad:
is the front messed up or the back? i got a quote for the back cv joints for $480 (includes labor). so if it's the back, just pay the $480 and don't claim it. use the rest of the money from him to pay for the door and paint.

PilotMojo
03-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Yah the CV joint was pre-accident tho. the mechanic I work with just happened to come across it when he was shaving my rotors...

Im actually considering looking @ the junkyard for a 93 (4dr) Teg door, power locks/windows Front passenger side, just incase anyone has one lying around... LOL...

O well...

lewkskywalker
03-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Alright guys, here's the damage. I got a call fromt he shop today and they said that the damaged parts included: front and rear suspension, 2 wheels, 1 tire, but there was no structural or frame damage. They wanted $3,500 for the whole thing.

PilotMojo
03-19-2003, 03:37 PM
and you're waiting for..... an invitation from the insurance?

Surely, you dont expect the rate increases you'll get from the insurance to add up to the 3500....

Insurance all the way...

gnushit
03-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by lewkskywalker
Alright guys, here's the damage. I got a call fromt he shop today and they said that the damaged parts included: front and rear suspension, 2 wheels, 1 tire, but there was no structural or frame damage. They wanted $3,500 for the whole thing.

that's asking just a little too much. you can easily buy a new suspension on-line for cheap, and if you're planing on upgrading wheels, then this is the perfect timeing :D. do you have any friends that are car savy? replacing a suspension is not that hard.

i'm happy the frame is ok though.

gnushit
03-19-2003, 09:55 PM
this guy is willing to chop up his car and sell it as parts.

click (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t92861.html)

gnushit
03-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by PilotMojo
Yah the CV joint was pre-accident tho. the mechanic I work with just happened to come across it when he was shaving my rotors...

Im actually considering looking @ the junkyard for a 93 (4dr) Teg door, power locks/windows Front passenger side, just incase anyone has one lying around... LOL...

O well...

i think my cv's were damaged by a previous accident also. i should have taken the car for inspection before buying it :(

good luck on finding your door, it'll save you A LOT of money in the long run

lewkskywalker
03-20-2003, 10:30 AM
luckily, my good friend works at Discount Tire, and when I called the collison shop, they said that it would be "highly beneficial" to find a new set of aftermarket rims to replace the damaged ones with. Sounds like I might be able to get something out of theis afterall!

PilotMojo
03-20-2003, 01:40 PM
yah you're getting a $3500 bill lol

Duatone
03-23-2003, 10:33 PM
it might just need an alignment
nope, its gonna be more than just that. take it to a suspension shop, ( A REAL ONE) and have them fix it. its nothing big, wej ust fixed that same problem at work, though sorry, I dont remember waht it was, but simple to do

Add your comment to this topic!