Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GMC S15 '88 Can't get it into 1st gear!

lgen_couch
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I was exiting off the freeway and tried to downshift like I've done a hundred times. I know manuals. But this time, when I tried to put it into SECOND to downshift, the gears grinded just a little. I immeadeatly stopped it and slowed down w/ just my breaks. But then after that, I haven't been able to get it into FIRST gear at all. I mean not at all!!! I have been having to take off from second ever sense then and I can't stand it. The fluid is full, and all the other gears work just perfectly like their supposed too. It's just not goin into first. The're is no metel sound or any kind of sound to give me an idea, it just won't slip up into first. I tried to look under it to see if I could see anything and my bosses tried to help me, but we couldn't see anything! I really hope somebody can help me. Please help me.

blazes9395
10-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Could be a few things. How is the clutch pedal? HAs the fluid ever been replaced in the tranny? HAve you tried dropping into first while moving slowly?

lgen_couch
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I've tried everything, moving, stopped, and even off. It happened right after the gears grinded a little. There was absolutally nothing wrong w/ it untill right then, right when the gears grinded. Its got something to do w/ the inside. I don't know if the fluid has been changed, but all the other gears work fine and first worked fine untill then, so I did something to it right then.

Rick Norwood
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I am not familiar with newer manual tranny's but here are a few ideas to think about from the old school.

Either the linkage (external) or the shifting fork (internal) could be blocked, bent, or jammed.

Grinding gear teeth usually indicates an issue with the synchronizer (I assume these new Tranny's are fully Synchronized). You may need to inspect the 1-2 Synchro for damage or excessive wear.

Add your comment to this topic!