Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem: 93 GMC Jimmy won't start.

Bad_Brad
10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
My 93 GMC Jimmy won't start.

Things that I've noticed:

The engine doesn't kick or anything. I do hear the fuel pump though.

The battery is 5-6 years old and when I try to start the car the volt rating on the dashboard hovers around 12. I'm thinking that isn't enough to start the car.

I also live in the Twin Cities Metro region in Minnesota and this past weekend we were hit by really cold weather and I know that the efficiency of battery's weaken as the temperature drops.

When the car didn't start yesterday I waited an hour and tried again. That time it started. So I'm not sure whats up.

BTW I haven't had a chance to jump the Jimmy.

So I think the battery might need to be replaced. Do any of you agree?

blazes9395
10-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Get the battery tested. You do need a strong battery, especially for the fuel system this truck has. If the battery is weak, it will be a hard start, if it even starts.

Schrade
10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
My 93 GMC Jimmy won't start.

Air, fuel, fire.

Air filter clear?
Fuel pressure ok? Ohm test injectors?
Fire. Do you have spark?

If you have these three, the timing is off.

Rick Norwood
10-30-2008, 02:16 PM
My old 93 did the same thing. If the battery tests good, your culprit could be the solenoid on the starter. The heat makes the internal spring stick. The next time it doesn't start, try tapping on the solenoid with something like a tire iron. If you look over the top of the front passenger tire and lift the rubber/plastic flap you will be looking right at the starter. The solenoid is the little cylinder right on top of it. Tap this a couple of times using Light to medium taps (you are not trying to break the thing) and then try the key. If it starts, you'll know why.

blazes9395
10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
I missed what Brad mentioned-it doesn't kick over-....I agree with Ricks suggestion, most likely it is a starter/starter solonoid problem, as long as the battery is strong.

Bad_Brad
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I took a picture of what I looked at. Is this the solenoid?

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr248/Illuminate88/10090001.jpg

Also, I looked around the web and found this.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070918094718AA6AXYY

Any thoughts

Bad_Brad
11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Also, I took the battery to AutoZone and had it checked and charged. They said it was good but the the Jimmy still wouldn't start.

Please bare with me, I have absolutely no mechanical expertise whatsoever.

blazes9395
11-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Alright lets get to the absolute basics. Your battery is good. When you turn the key, does the engine turn over to start, or is there absolutly nothing? The picture you took, the first one is a picture of the shock on the truck, the upper shield of the shock. By the looks of it, I'd say your most likely due for shocks too. If it turns over, eninge is turning over, then you have to check for spark and good fuel pressure. If it is not turning over at all, you have to verify the starter/solonoid are operational. The starter is mounted on the engine block, you are looking in the right area, but look on the engine, passenger side.

Any other questions, jsut ask away, we are here to help each other.

Bad_Brad
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
When I turn the key, there is absolutely nothing. But this morning I did get the truck to start with a jump. So I don't know, could it be a small combination of both the battery (it could be a too weak to start the Jimmy) and the Starter/Solonoid not working properly?

Rick Norwood
11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
When I turn the key, there is absolutely nothing. But this morning I did get the truck to start with a jump. So I don't know, could it be a small combination of both the battery (it could be a too weak to start the Jimmy) and the Starter/Solonoid not working properly?

That makes absolutely no sense. If The Battery is good it should have started the Truck without the jump. Does it start now without a jump?

Bad_Brad
11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Since I started my truck with a jump on the tenth it has been starting exactly as it should. I don't know much about vehicles but this is definitely puzzling.

Rick Norwood
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Since I started my truck with a jump on the tenth it has been starting exactly as it should. I don't know much about vehicles but this is definitely puzzling.

Double check your battery cables and connections on the battery. You may have jostled the cables and posts while in the process of taking the battery out and or jumping to make a good contact. If you see a lot of white powder around the terminals or green looking corrosion around the cables, it may be your problem.

duke350
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
It's the starter. It has a dead spot in it. That's why when you jumped it it started, the extra power helped it jump the dead spot. The next time it lands on the dead spot you will have the same problem. If it doesn't land on the dead spot it will start.

biggzjon1142
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
i have a similar problem my 94 jimmy has the 4.3 vortec it cranks but will not fire when i jump it it it starts an ideas???

Dr.John
12-31-2008, 10:57 PM
As for the the 1994 Jimmy turning over but not running, I would bet you have no or low fuel pressure. Attach a fuel gauge to the rail. If you don't measure over 20 psi, you have a weak pump or a clogged screen and/or filter. I bet you have a poor ground to frame connection. I fixed a 1999 Jimmy by removing the fuse box near the air filter. I could hear the fuel pump relay click but no voltage went to the fuel pump. The problem was an intermittent contact between terminals in the fuse box. However, I did not figure this out until after I pulled the fuel pump out and found it worked fine. But at least I saved my friend $300 on another pump. BTW, only use OEM AC/Delco fuel pumps. The aftermarkets don't last as long and these Jimmys have lots of fuel problems. I have made many mortgage payments due to GMC Jimmy fuel problem! I hope you well in your repair pursuits, John

biggzjon1142
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
thx for the tip i haven been able to try due to snow but i will

Leeann94astro
01-13-2009, 01:08 AM
A correction: a 1994 Vortec engine requires 60-64 psi at the schrader valve. The spec given in the previous post is for a TBI engine.

Add your comment to this topic!