Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water in Trunk

manewman
10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
1994 Lebaron GTC
Noticed water in trunk after rain, not a lot but carpet is wet. The seal around the trunk is fine and can't locate where the water may be getting in.

Joric LeBaron
10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I'd recheck around your seal you might have a rust hole.. also if you got the convertible check the well where the roof goes when you open the top and make sure you dont have a tear or hole in the fabric lining that leaks into the trunk

Polygon
10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Being a 94' it would have to be a convertible. I'd agree with what Joric said. Also, I don't think this was an option but that doesn't have a rack on the trunk. Also, does it have a spoiler?

Scrapper
10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
take garden hose and spray around your trunk and see where it's coming from. you say seals are good you counting the one that runs of back winshield? you could even put someone in trunk maybe find it faster.do it like a shade tree M. C. would probaley do.

myway1955
05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
If you look along the weather stripping that rounds around the trunk, see if there is a body seam next to the weather strip. I had the same problem and found a weld seam on each side where water was working its way in. Not alot, but the trunk was always wet in the same spots just under the seams. Good luck.

madmanmapper
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
I fit in my LeBaron's trunk, and it's a convertible! And I'm 6'2", 220 lbs!

Polygon, trunk racks were an available option on LeBaron coupes and convertibles at least up to 93, says so in the 93 LeBaron brochure! :)

Anyway, there are lots of hidden areas you need to be looking at. If you have a convertible, the first place you should look is where the bottom of your back windshield meets the canvas. It should be glued to it on the bottom, sometimes this glue loses its bond and water will simply fall into the car. If not, then fold your top about half way down, then observe with a flashlight the area under the back of the canvas, where the canvas meets the body. It should be free of debris, and there must be places for water to run down on each side of the car, not exactly sure where though. Even if it is clean it may still leak water between the canvas and the steel it's bolted to. Also with your top fully up and latched in place, get inside your car, in the back seat, and look with a flashlight at the area under the back windshield. There should be a black vinyl sheet, with 2 drain holes, and it should be fully snapped into place with its many metal snaps. Make sure it's free of any debris as well, because it could clog the drain holes.

Now convertible or not, if you have yet to find the source of the water, open your trunk and remove all of the panel type plastic thingies that cover the walls and floor of the trunk. Look around with a flashlight for a rust hole, a puddle of water, water stains, anything that would give away the source of the leak. There are many crevices in a trunk. You might want to get in your trunk and observe the "ceiling" of your trunk, as water is likely come from above.

If all that fails and the solution still eludes you, and your car is a convertible, do this:
Get in your car and put your top all the way down. Remove the bottom of your back seat, the back will pry upwards, then the front will need to be pried with a screwdriver. I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to come off, I just broke the clips that hold mine in, but the seat still stays in its place once you put it back. The back part of the seat has 2 bolts on the bottom and will then lift up and come off. You might also want to remove the side panels, they have a bunch of phillips head screws, mostly accessible by removing the back seat. You'll also have to remove the bottom pieces of the door jambs, which is tough to do, because their phillips head bolts are usually rusted out. Remove the panels totally by unplugging the speakers on them. Now you'll be able to observe almost everything in the back of your car, including drain hoses and such.

Linda Pratt
08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Check and make sure the bottom of rear window is still sealed. If not sealed; this is where your water is coming from. I was told I could repair the separated rear window bottom to canvas with a hot glue gun from craft section of department or hobby store. I used my hot glue gun this evening and the adhesion was rapid and secure. I have not put top down yet; but responder told me he fixed his corvette and it has held fast for long time. If your window seal at bottom of rear window is separated try this. Beats paying $600 for new window.

danielsatur
08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
1) Strategically place a garden hose with a little water pressure in the trunk gutter & let the water roll to pinpoint your water problem.
2) Open trunk
3) You can do the left side trunk, right side trunk, and do both by placing hose in the upper center.
4) Once you rule out the trunk seal, and rear tail lights, lets focus on the lower/upper rear window.
5) Use Home Depot/Lowes Doors & Windows sealant for quick fix, or
use masking tape with a little WD40 on your finger tip to make a nice finish.

Note - If you suspect the rack on the trunk lid, do the outer trunk lid before doing rear window.

Add your comment to this topic!