Air Bag Light On

pint4
10-27-2008, 12:57 AM
My 2006 Pontiac G6 was rebuilt in the front end-driver's side after taking a hit. The air bag was replaced along with the brain under the console that was rebuilt. Things worked great for about 4 -5 months. We replaced the windshield washer pump last month and shortly after started to have problems with the air bag light coming on. It comes on and then after a while goes off. I get up in the morning and it is lit up all the way to work-approximately 8 miles across town. I go out at lunch time and it is off. In the evening it might go on and the after 20 miles of driving, it goes off. Is there anything we could have touched such as a wire or sensor in the bumper area on the front driver's side that could be causing the problem?
Thanks.
Bob

maxwedge
10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
It should be scanned with an air bag programmed scanner for stored trouble codes or only luck and/or guess work will fix the issue.

Hungrycat7
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Definately not something to fool with! If I had to venture a guess I would say there is a bad ground somewhere but you should get that scanned ASAP.

pint4
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Here is some more info. When it is is warm outside, the air bag light is off. When it is cold, then it is on. It's cool at night here in Wisconsin so the temps drop down into the 30's. When I start the car in the morning, the light air bag light stays on even if it was off when I parked it the day before. As the day gets nicer, the sun comes out, and the temps go up into the 50's and 60's, the light goes of and stays off. Any one know what might be temperature sensitive?? Car sits overnight in the cooler 30's temps and the light stays on the next morning until things warm up outdoors. Looking for therories/ideas????
Thanks.
Bob

grfnkl
11-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd say it sounds like one of the connections weren't plugged back in properly causing the light to come on when it's cold and off when it's warm. As the metal connections warm up they expand making contact and the light goes off,... when they cool down the contract not making good contact anymore. I highly recommend getting this taken care of ASAP!!! Since the Air bag systems are highly sensative you don't want it to make the wrong contact one day and set off the airbag... especially since the winter is approaching and the air will be getting drying causing more static electricity.

maxwedge
11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Here is some more info. When it is is warm outside, the air bag light is off. When it is cold, then it is on. It's cool at night here in Wisconsin so the temps drop down into the 30's. When I start the car in the morning, the light air bag light stays on even if it was off when I parked it the day before. As the day gets nicer, the sun comes out, and the temps go up into the 50's and 60's, the light goes of and stays off. Any one know what might be temperature sensitive?? Car sits overnight in the cooler 30's temps and the light stays on the next morning until things warm up outdoors. Looking for therories/ideas????
Thanks.
Bob
When you had it scanned what were the SIRS codes, or has this not been done and the request for an impossible diagnosis over the internet still persists.

dugan50
11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
It sounds like the sensors may need rebooting. You can do this without any risk if you disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes. Here is a link to a picture of the front sensors.
http://www.airbagsolutions.com/members/images/06/sns/g6.jpg

Also, here's a site that will explain everything you need to know about airbag systems, airbag lights and resetting the system. It shows you the location of the components and the procedure for diagnosing and resetting airbag lights.
http://www.airbagsolutions.com/

Firehawk7
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
My 2006 Pontiac G6 was rebuilt in the front end-driver's side after taking a hit. The air bag was replaced along with the brain under the console that was rebuilt. Things worked great for about 4 -5 months. We replaced the windshield washer pump last month and shortly after started to have problems with the air bag light coming on. It comes on and then after a while goes off. I get up in the morning and it is lit up all the way to work-approximately 8 miles across town. I go out at lunch time and it is off. In the evening it might go on and the after 20 miles of driving, it goes off. Is there anything we could have touched such as a wire or sensor in the bumper area on the front driver's side that could be causing the problem?
Thanks.
Bob

Definetely take it back to where it was fixed or if that is not possible take it to a service shop you trust. Or you can call your insurance company if they payed the bill to repair the original damage and they might cover it if you cant take it back to the place that fixed it originally. You should have a lifetime warranty for those repairs and your insurance company will stand behind that.

Have them check the seatbelt connections, sometimes they need to be replaced when the airbag blows. They dont lock in properly or just break.

Add your comment to this topic!