Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 grand cherokee no start

dmarshall922
10-26-2008, 05:13 PM
my 93 jgc wont start. was running fine.came out 1hr later-no start.tried jumping no go.little starter fluid no go. had no spark- replaced distributer cap and rotor ( was worn and pitted)got spark. its getn fuel to fuel lines ( presure not the greatest) still no start. while cranking the alarm was activated ( headlights flashing on off) locked and unlocked all doors and hatchback. still no start. removed oil filler cap cranked engine and i can see rocker arms moving. i can hear fuel pump kick on when key is turned to on position. do you think an alarm problem? i beside myself with this. any help will be GREATLY APRECIATED.
thank-you
danny m

myjeep
11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I had this same problem and worked on it for 3 months before I asked about it in my jeep club forum.
Check or just replace your crank position sensor.
You could also get an idea iif this is it by disconnecting and then reconnecting the sensor; sometimes it will get you one or two starts before failing again.
I replaced it and was fine forever.

wilbrama
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi there;
I'm new, I have a problem with my 1994 jeep grand cherokee and I do not know how to post my problem. Please help me to do so.
The promlem is that my cherokee start, go on just for 5 or 10 second and go of. The fuel pressure is about 35-40 but I took of the fuel pump and outside the pump pressure is 65 to 78. What can I do to start and run it good?

msdz
11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
dmarshall, have you checked the camshaft sensor?? This will also cause a vehicle not to get spark or at least on the 2 vehicles I had worked on when the cam sensor was bad they did not throw spark. All the readings I had ever done on Jeeps not getting spark were: crank sensor, cam senor, ignition pickup/stator in distributor, or bad coil. These come to my head ATM, could be more I can't think of, besides what I had stated the alarm I guess could be affecting it as well.
I had seen Jeeps act differently when the alarm was not disabling. My Jeep will start but instantly die if for some reason the alarm was not disabled, a Jeep Cherokee I was going to buy had the alarm enabled on it and nobody knew how to disable it(years ago before I found this site to ask how) and that Jeep Cherokee would not start at all.
My Jeep of course does the flashing headlights as well but of course no horn will sound when I have this trouble. I have to get back out and then lock and unlock my drivers side door only for the alarm to disarm the alarm for my Jeep to run.

Add your comment to this topic!