Transmission slipping when cold

dh271
10-26-2008, 05:26 AM
2004 Impala base model. For the last month my transmission slips through the first couple of gears until it warms up in city driving. It usually takes about 30 minutes or so of driving before it`s ok. Highway speed is fine, no problems. It takes a couple of seconds to grab a gear when I first start driving. I have high mileage on this car and I`m going to change the fluid and filter this week.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and then corrected it by doing a fluid and filter change. The car has always shifted a little rough through the gears to begin with.
If the tranny was bad, wouldn`t it slip even when the fluid warms up? Any ideas? Just fishing here for a few ideas.
Also, should I have a complete flush or just do the pan drop and add some Lucas tranny fluid with it? :banghead:

2005chevimpala
10-26-2008, 06:10 AM
2004 Impala base model. For the last month my transmission slips through the first couple of gears until it warms up in city driving. It usually takes about 30 minutes or so of driving before it`s ok. Highway speed is fine, no problems. It takes a couple of seconds to grab a gear when I first start driving. I have high mileage on this car and I`m going to change the fluid and filter this week.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and then corrected it by doing a fluid and filter change. The car has always shifted a little rough through the gears to begin with.
If the tranny was bad, wouldn`t it slip even when the fluid warms up? Any ideas? Just fishing here for a few ideas.
Also, should I have a complete flush or just do the pan drop and add some Lucas tranny fluid with it? :banghead: Your pcs,pressure control soiliend is bad in your tranny,these cars are famous for it,this job costs approx $600-$1000 to get repaired,there are lots of posts on this site if you look for then on this issue,what you might want to try is to unhook your neg bat terminal overnight to see if you can temp reset your computer to make your tranny work better,i have had 25 impalas since 2000-2005 models and some have to have the pcs replaced and others i just reset the computer by unhooking the neg terminal overnight

dh271
10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I`ve read other post about this problem and here`s what I`ll do:
1) I`ll disconnect the negative terminal for a couple of minutes and reconnect and idle it for 60 seconds and repeat.
2) I`ll get a scan and find out if the hidden code P1811 comes up.
3) I`ll take a baseball bat and beat it the car until it looks like a tuna can.

See, I do have a plan.......

dh271
10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Disconnecting the battery and resetting computer didn`t make it better.
I had two different auto shops do a code scan and no codes showed up. I did one myself and no codes showed up (wanted to see for myself).
I`ll do a fluid and filter change next.
When the pcs is going bad, does it slip in reverse a little also or only in forward gears?

j cAT
10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Disconnecting the battery and resetting computer didn`t make it better.
I had two different auto shops do a code scan and no codes showed up. I did one myself and no codes showed up (wanted to see for myself).
I`ll do a fluid and filter change next.
When the pcs is going bad, does it slip in reverse a little also or only in forward gears?

how many miles since the last fluid/filter change...how many miles on vehicle...If this vehicle is well over 125,000mi dump it..no sense putting any more money into this beat vehicle..

2500.oo will get that tranny running like new...

Gems
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Read thru my thread here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=919663

My tranny has been shifting perfectly since I followed the advice of BNaylor...

j cAT
10-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Read thru my thread here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=919663

My tranny has been shifting perfectly since I followed the advice of BNaylor...

GEMs is this what you did ????? : BNAYLOR quote "Just to be safe I would run the Seafoam through, then do a pan drop. Install a new screen filter and then resupply with the Dex VI. You can get it at Walmart under the Supertech brand for around $3 per qt. See pic below. You will need around 8 qt. The system should hold around 7.5 qts with a pan drop service. Use an AC Delco TF304 screen filter which is the same as the SPX/Filtran brand since Filtran makes the Delco screen filter " end quote....

Gems
10-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes, that is what I did... Tranny then shifted nice and smooth...

After that procedure I have used a hand pump fluid extractor to pull a quart at a time of additional tranny fluid out from the dip stick tube and replaced the extracted fluid with fresh Dexron VI... I have done that about a quart at a time, each weekend for 3 times now... I'll do that a few more times so that I have a high percentage of clean Dexron VI in the tranny...

j cAT
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, that is what I did... Tranny then shifted nice and smooth...

After that procedure I have used a hand pump fluid extractor to pull a quart at a time of additional tranny fluid out from the dip stick tube and replaced the extracted fluid with fresh Dexron VI... I have done that about a quart at a time, each weekend for 3 times now... I'll do that a few more times so that I have a high percentage of clean Dexron VI in the tranny...

on the older GM transmissions you could place a 3/8inch tubing down the dip stick so that it would go to the bottom of the pan and you could suck out all but 1/2 quart of fluid from tranny...then drop pan with no mess...

now what I do is get drain plug pan use the drain plug because on the new tranny's there is a piece of metal partially blocking the hole and like you said only a quart can be sucked out..

Gems
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
on the older GM transmissions you could place a 3/8inch tubing down the dip stick so that it would go to the bottom of the pan and you could suck out all but 1/2 quart of fluid from tranny...then drop pan with no mess...

now what I do is get drain plug pan use the drain plug because on the new tranny's there is a piece of metal partially blocking the hole and like you said only a quart can be sucked out..

Yup, that's a better way to do it... The whole point of this, on an older transmission, is to get as much fluid out as possible without doing the "dreaded" fluid purge which can create more problems than it helps...

Adrian09
06-30-2009, 11:10 PM
can some one help me with this problem i just had my transmission changed like 3 weeks ago...

chevymandan
06-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Faulty Pressure Control Solenoid, GM knows about it, there are TSB about it. Harsh shifts when hot. The best and cheapest thing to do is call GM and complain. Their number is 1-800-222-1020. These transmissions are known to be defective but have yet to be recalled. I called today 6-21-2010. Ask for it to be recalled. If they get enough calls they will. Maybe

Update
installed transgo sk4t65e kit accumulator springs, filter and fluid and it shifts great now, total cost about 160, easy to do

Nopower2move
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
My automatic transmission is also sliiping whenver it is first driven (regardless of the temperature outside). Will it do any damage to keep driving it?

j cAT
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
My automatic transmission is also sliiping whenver it is first driven (regardless of the temperature outside). Will it do any damage to keep driving it?

your transmission is damaged if slipping.

what are your transmission service intervals. do you use the correct dexron VI fluid in it ? If the tranny has dexron III with over 100,ooomi on it it will need major work .

Nopower2move
05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
It has 107,000 miles on it and has not been serviced since I had it. Funny thing it is not slipping now and the weather has been cooler (it doesn't seem to slip when the weather is hot). Is this normal for a bad transmission to do this intermittenly or is there something else that could be mimicking a slipping transmission?

j cAT
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
It has 107,000 miles on it and has not been serviced since I had it. Funny thing it is not slipping now and the weather has been cooler (it doesn't seem to slip when the weather is hot). Is this normal for a bad transmission to do this intermittenly or is there something else that could be mimicking a slipping transmission?

how many miles was this vehicle when YOU got it ?

you know some owners never replace the transmission fluid !

replacing the tranmission fluid on this vehicle is recommended every 30-40,ooomi.. that also means pan drop and filter replacement..since 2006 you should use the new and approved [GM] fluid DEXRON VI...............they had lots of problems with these transmissions

LOW PRESSURES AND SLIPPAGE YOU WILL SOON NEED A TRANNY JOB...

Blue Bowtie
05-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I'd second the vote for a pan drop, accumulator and oil tube cleaning and inspection (with possible shift kit install), new filter, and fresh synthetic (Dex VI) oil to refill. Avoid the temptation to flush the trans unless you have another vehicle to rely upon.

If you really want to keep the car, installing a drain plug in the pan is about $4 and worth every penny.

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/4T65EPanPlugged.jpg

Get a Dorman 65202 plug and a -20 jamb nut, drill, assemble without the seal washer, and weld in the nut. You'll be able to drain all but about a pint of the oil in the pan next time and not lose a drop when the pan is pulled.

Add your comment to this topic!