Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Ford Windstar Clock Spring???????

dthorn292005
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Can anyone tell me the steps to fix this problem? My horn and cruise control quit working at the same time and I think this will fix it. Is this the real name for this part?

LeSabre97mint
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
dthron

Welcome to AFs!

I bought a damaged 98 that the airbags had deployed. When I got it back together I didn't have a horn or cruse. I too thought it was the clockspring. It turned out to be the fuses. I had a shorted horn that blew the fuse. I think the ABs blew their fuse when they deployed.

Check your fuses.

Regards

Dan

dthorn292005
10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
dthron

Welcome to AFs!

I bought a damaged 98 that the airbags had deployed. When I got it back together I didn't have a horn or cruse. I too thought it was the clockspring. It turned out to be the fuses. I had a shorted horn that blew the fuse. I think the ABs blew their fuse when they deployed.

Check your fuses.

Regards

Dan
I too thought that it might be a fuse, but they were fine. I'm really not 100% sure that it is the clock spring either, that's just about the only thing I know left to check. Thank you for your reply Dan.

LeSabre97mint
10-26-2008, 06:13 PM
To pull the CS you need to pull the driver airbag after pulling the ground off of the battery and waiting for a min. Pull the steering wheel which the CS under.

Instead of pulling the CS.... you could pull the AB (after pulling the ground on the battery) and check for continunity through the CS by pulling the relay for the horn. There should be a conection between the contacts for the coil of the relay and the wires to the horn button.

Another thought....have you checked the relay?

Dan

dthorn292005
10-26-2008, 07:30 PM
To pull the CS you need to pull the driver airbag after pulling the ground off of the battery and waiting for a min. Pull the steering wheel which the CS under.

Instead of pulling the CS.... you could pull the AB (after pulling the ground on the battery) and check for continunity through the CS by pulling the relay for the horn. There should be a conection between the contacts for the coil of the relay and the wires to the horn button.

Another thought....have you checked the relay?

Dan
Thank you Dan I will check the relay first. Where is it located is it under the hood?

LeSabre97mint
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
The horn relay is under the dash on the driver side. It should be listed in your owners manual. You could switch a relay with a known good one. Most of the relays are the same.

Dan

dthorn292005
10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The horn relay is under the dash on the driver side. It should be listed in your owners manual. You could switch a relay with a known good one. Most of the relays are the same.

Dan
Thanks I will check that today.

Add your comment to this topic!