Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where is the antifreeze going??

grace05mam
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a 95 jimmy 4.3 vortec. It seems like every 2 months my antifreeze level is low. I have checked for leaks under the car, in the intake,spark plugs, inside the car from the heater core and it's not coming from the tale pipe. Where in the world is it going? Please help starting to go crazy here.:screwy:

old_master
10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Very common problem for the 4.3L to leak coolant at the corners of the lower intake manifold. It's difficult to see the front corners without removing either the alternator or the A/C compressor. You can use a small mirror to see the rear corners. They can leak both internally and externally, so if the corners are good, it's probably leaking internally. There are threads in the "How to" section, some with pictures.

grace05mam
10-25-2008, 11:15 PM
How would I find the 'How To' section? What are the effects of the the coolent leaking inside lower intake and if it is leaking in what causes that to happen?

old_master
10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Here is the link to the intake gasket replacement procedure: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=879228

The lower intake manifold gaskets seal passages from the cylinder heads to the intake manifold in each corner of the intake manifold. If they leak externally, the coolant runs down the block and can be burned off by engine heat, or drip onto the ground. Other than making a mess, it poses no serious threat to the engine, provided the coolant level is kept full. If they leak internally, the coolant drains into the engine oil... a serious problem that will destroy engine bearings.

blazes9395
10-28-2008, 01:14 AM
...just to add, the '95 intake gasket link is below...everything else OM said still very much applies
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=486234

grace05mam
10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Thank you for sending the other link. The first one is not what my engine looks like. Thanks again.

Rick Norwood
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
The easiest thing to do is to go to Autozone and borrow the Radiator pressure tester. It is a small hand held tire pump with a radiator cap on it. attach it to the Radiator and pump it up to the pressure shown on the cap and look for leaks.

Add your comment to this topic!