Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Blazer losing antifreeze

NINFan
10-25-2008, 06:50 AM
i'm losing antifreeze but no visible leaks. the engine started running rough, particularly at idle, so i'm guessing it's either a cracked head or head gasket. not accumulating anything in the oilpan (in fact, it's now using oil).

any ideas on how to diagnose?

what do i need to know before tearing the upper engine down?

thanks

Schrade
10-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Any codes? SES light?

How does the exhaust look in the morning? How does it look any other time?

NINFan
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
no codes. exhaust seems fine.

funny thing, though. here's the whole story:

car needed an oil pump. ended up doing a lot more (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=725265). ended up putting in a new water pump - the old one started leaking as soon as i fired up the engine. worked great all summer, then the heater core went. a few months ago it sprung a leak in the pipe where the heater hose attaches. replaced the pump. a week later, it sprung a leak in the housing that goes above the thermostat where the upper rad hose attaches. i think the car had regular antifreeze mixed with dexcool at some point, so i'm wondering if that has something to do with all the leaks.
so the other day, the heat stopped working. turned out the reservoir was empty and it took a ton of water, then was fine. that's when i posted this. and i was thinking that maybe with all the other leaks, maybe a leak sprung in a head gasket. topped it off again a few days ago, but it didn't take a lot. i just flushed it again and it's now running clear.
BUT... over the summer i noticed that there was a sloshing sound in the heater core. so i'm now thinking it could have been a giant air pocket? i'm going to give it a few more days and see if it takes any more water before panicking.

Schrade
10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
no codes. exhaust seems fine.

Better have another look. If it's burnin' oil, you're gonna' have some blue exhaust. We ain't scopin' for blue tho', we're lookin' for some white smoke, that's different from startup and later when it's warm.

Check the floor at the passenger side for juicy carpet too.

Post back!

Add your comment to this topic!