Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 s10 4x4 not working

boss429
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
HI found out my 4x4 was not working the other day when i went to pull out a tree stump from my yard. so that sucked. anyways the transfer chase engages and everything with the push button seems fine you push 4 high or low and you can feel the case shift over but when you step on the gas no 4x4. im thinking the trans axle is not engaging but have to really had a chance to check. the only thing i can coe u with that might have happened is the vacuum hose fell off which i will be checking tomorrow but any ideas would be great . as Michigan roads are not the best in winter and going hunting without 4x4 is a bad idea. thats just asking to get stuck in the woods. thanks

MT-2500
10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
HI found out my 4x4 was not working the other day when i went to pull out a tree stump from my yard. so that sucked. anyways the transfer chase engages and everything with the push button seems fine you push 4 high or low and you can feel the case shift over but when you step on the gas no 4x4. im thinking the trans axle is not engaging but have to really had a chance to check. the only thing i can coe u with that might have happened is the vacuum hose fell off which i will be checking tomorrow but any ideas would be great . as Michigan roads are not the best in winter and going hunting without 4x4 is a bad idea. thats just asking to get stuck in the woods. thanks

What transfer case?
Ckeck that front axel for locking in for sure.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=572914

Schrade
10-24-2008, 03:58 PM
... and you can feel the case shift over but when you step on the gas no 4x4....

No 4x4? Why do you think that?

If you hear the transfer case engage, the 4 way is in 4x4.

Front axle doesn't have posi, I don't think, so power gets only to one front wheel...

boss429
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
i don't believe that the front axle is locking when the 4x4 is engaged. the transfer shifts into 4x4 and turns the front drive shaft but no tire movement. had the truck lifted today and put in 4x4 rear tire turn and front shaft spins but front tires dont spin so not sure whats wrong. hoping its the vacuum hose that controls the front axle.

MT-2500
10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Check vacuum hoses,
Try ths link.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=572914

grace05mam
10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I had some problem with my Jimmy. If the vents for your heat are not working as well then yes it is a vacum hose.

boss429
10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
well i found that i have a vacuum leak somewhere around my transmission. the hose controls the vacuum actuator under the battery . so now i just have to find where the leak is and fix it . just hoping its not leaking where i can't get to the hose.

kjm6995
11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Had the same problem with my 2000 blazer. Check the accuator and wiring on the front axel. The wires tend to kink "killing" the signal and disabling the accuator. Also accuator may be stuck so remove it and see if it moves freely.
good luck

Add your comment to this topic!